Chapter 28

Chapter 28

I unbuckled my seat belt with lightning speed and reached for the car door handle. Tyler grabbed my arm to stop me. "Kait, wait!"

I spun around and faced him. "What? What?"

"What are you doing?" He asked incredulously. "He'll see you!"

I shook my head. "I'm going around the back to see if I can look through some windows." Then I reached into my pocket and pulled out my phone, holding it up for him to see. "I'm going to get a picture of them together."

Tyler sighed. "You'll get caught."

"That's why you're coming with me. You'll be my lookout."

He shook his head and muttered. "This is insane." But, he let go of my arm and reached for the door handle on his side.

We both climbed out quickly, being sure not to slam the car doors for fear that Jared would hear us. 

Once we crossed the street and made it to the other side, we stopped right in front of the wrought iron gate that fenced in the house.

"What if they hear us opening it?" Tyler asked.

"Don't be ridiculous, how much noise could the gate make?" I said, then I unlatched the hook and pushed on the gate so that it could move forward. Unfortunately, when I pushed it just an inch, we were greeted with a loud creaaaaaaaak.

Tyler took hold of it immediately before it made any more sounds. 

"Shit," I muttered.

"Told you," Tyler scolded.

I scanned the area around trying to figure out a way around this. "What now?"

"Well, you could always resort to climbing it like some kind of monkey." Tyler said sarcastically.

I looked at the gate, it wasn't too high, it reached up to about my shoulders. Definitely climbable.

"Hey, great idea!" I said, as I began to put my feet into the large spaces of the gate.

Tyler took hold of my waist to stop me. "Kait, I wasn't being serious!"

I swatted at his hands. "I know, but it's a good idea, now let go."

He sighed and released me, then muttered about me being delusional and clinically insane.

I climbed up the gate and when I reached the top, I swung both of my legs over and then jumped down.

I brushed my hands against my jeans and smiled at Tyler. "See? Easy. Now your turn?"

Tyler stared at the gate. "Uh..."

"Come on, don't wimp out."

"Well..."

"What?" I asked wryly. "Is Mr. football star afraid to get hurt? Come on, it's a little gate, you've tackled linebackers taller than this."

"Tackled being the operative word, not climbed like a tree, Kait."

"Tyler, please." I begged. "Please, I can't do this alone."

"I..."

"Tyler, please, okay? I have no other choices but to do this now. Please."

Tyler huffed and looked at the cloudless sky. "Fine. I'll do it."

He slowly placed his feet into the wide spaces of the fence and began to lift himself up, once he got to the top he swung both of his legs over, like I did, but then lost his footing and came down face planting onto the ground.