Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The next morning I woke up to the sound of screeching birds. I rolled over and threw a pillow at my window. I usually did this to shut them up. I like birds, don't get me wrong, but when they're at my window wailing out a song, I have to take drastic measures. Even if that means throwing my pillow at the window with enough force that it could possibly break the glass.

I turned over to face my clock and saw that it read 6:45 A.M. Oh crap. I was going to be late for my shift at Bobo's party in a box. I jumped out of my bed quickly and ran for the bathroom. When I reached it I saw that the door was closed. Oh no, not today. There was no way that I was going to wait for Dylan to come out. I banged hard on the door repeatedly. On my seventh bang, the door swung open causing me to fall into the bathroom.

"What is your problem?" Dylan asked, giving me a look of disgust as I lay on the bathroom floor.

I sighed. "Apparently my alarm clock didn't go off, and now I have to hurry or I'll be late for my shift."

Dylan looked at me for a while, processing what I told him. "Fine, you can have the bathroom."

I pushed myself up off of the floor and faced him. "Thanks, but why are you up so early on a Saturday, anyway?"

"Student council is holding a charity event for the homeless. I'm in charge of it, so I have to be there early and make sure everything is settled."

"Oh." I said. I forgot that Dylan was head of the Student Council. But, by looking at his expression it seemed like he didn't want to go to it. Knowing him though, he'll be smiling and acting like he wants to be there the whole time, even if he doesn't want to be there.

"Well, have fun." I added as I pushed him out of the bathroom.

After I finished getting ready, I ran down the stairs into the kitchen to grab a muffin. I had ten minutes until my shift started. I ran out the door and into the street with my muffin in my mouth. Bobo's party in a box was only a couple of blocks away from my house, so I think that I might make it. I ran quickly, dashing in front of cars which earned me a few honks, curse words and some not so friendly hand gestures.

Up ahead, I saw the big flashing clown face and brick colored building of Bobo's party in a box. I ran into the double doors with two minutes to spare. I stopped and stood by the check point trying to catch my breath. One of my co-workers walked by me with a huge bouquet of multicolored balloons.

He gave me a knowing look. "Woke up late again?"

"This time it wasn't my fault Mason, my alarm clock chose not to wake me up today. Okay?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Oh, so now your alarm clock has a mind of it's own? Can I meet this evil alarm clock?"

I smiled. Mason was one of my best friends at this hellhole. He always knew what to say to make me smile or laugh. He has dark hair and bright blue eyes that always showed how he was feeling. He was extremely cute and that made it sometimes hard for me to work with him or keep my focus, because I was constantly staring at him.

I helped him carry the stack of balloons into the party area. It looked like all the Disney movies came together and threw up in here. There were Cinderella, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty cut outs everywhere. Pink, white, and blue streamers were hung all over the place. In the center of the room there was a long rectangular table with a huge castle cake mounted on it.

"Princess party?" I asked.

"Princess party." Mason stated.

Well, this was going to be fun.