Coding and the Fade

(a/n, Hi everyone!! If you've made it this far I'm hoping youve decided to give Our Story a chance! For that I am so grateful. But I would like to ask that if you have thoughts, ideas, predictions, or even just want to say hi, I'd LOVE to hear from you. Part of the joy of writing is hearing what others think of your characters and ideas. What do you guys think of our main characters? Let me know :D and now... on to the chapter!)

(Talcs POV)

I closed the door to my cabin, eager to shut out the world. The meeting had yielded some valuable insights.

I allowed myself a thrill of hope. Home was closer than I thought. I had to get us there before they tried to close the Breach. I knew that was the only way to guarantee us both a ticket home without a body bag.

With Melina hell-bent on a suicide mission. I had to figure out a plan as fast as I could. I was going to save my best friend whatever the cost. I was going to save us both. To pull it off, I was going to need more information and resources. I knew exactly where to begin. I turned my attention to the scroll I had just laid out on the table. With a familiar PING, flames erupted into life in the fireplace.

My favorite thing to do in games like Fable was to own every piece of it. Amass huge amounts of wealth by wheeling and dealing. Collect a following of peons to do my bidding.

Games like Fable took me forever to beat because I rarely played the main objective till my character was the most powerful and influential hero in all the land.

I didn't think Dragon Age was that kind of game. I actually had no idea what kind of game Dragon Age was, but if you've played one adventure game, you've pretty much played them all. There had to be a way experience points were awarded or skills could be unlocked that might prove useful.

I hovered over my scroll. "First things first" I said uncapping the ink well.

I had to figure out a way to use my new abilities without arousing suspicion.

The sound and the light would give me away soon enough. It seemed the more complex the code, the brighter the light and louder the sounds...maybe there was a way around all that.

Maybe instead of recreating the wheel by rewriting codes that most likely already existed in this world, maybe I could find a way to access the already existing codes. It would be much simpler. There had to be a way to access the objects, weapons, maps, etc. from an array or matrix of some sort with a simple command line.

Then I wouldn't be creating a player menu, I'd only be accessing the one that already existed. I began writing.

Within the hour, I had succeeded. My last lines of code bled into the scroll. The query had returned a list of the worlds elements.

It appeared on the scroll's worn surface silently without disturbing the shadows about the room in the slightest. Everything from grass to weapons was now at my fingertips.

I smirked. I was able to browse through the contents exactly like an iPhone. An ancient, steampunk iPhone. I thought gleefully.

Now to test it. Something small, in case I blew up the cottage these townspeople had grudgingly provided. My fingertips came to rest on the word 'flower.' It seemed harmless enough and easy to explain away should the need arise.

I selected it, opening a larger menu of different flower types. 'Sunflower.' I loved Sunflowers. Loved that they were edible. Loved the buttery golden-yellow color of their petals.

Most of all I loved how they always faced the sun. Wherever it went, they could find the faintest bit of light in the darkest depths of night.

They seemed to speak of hope.