twenty-one

*Bella's POV*

"My back hurts." I exclaim as I enter the kitchen on Saturday morning.

Gemma has been staying with us for a week now, and sleeping on that cot isn't doing me any good.

"Stop complaining." Harry says, pouring an apple juice.

"You're one to talk." I snort.

"What do you mean?" He furrows his eyebrows.

"That's first thing you did when you walked in this house. 'What? No beer?'" I mimic him in a higher pitched voice.

"You actually remember that? That was like 2 or 3 months ago." He takes a bite of his bacon.

"I remember everything." I state. "Just like I remember your birthday is on February 1st, and you're about 5 feet, 11 inches."

He looks taken aback, but also very impressed that I know these facts.

"How do you even know that?" He asks. "I don't ever remember telling you that."

"My lawyer let me peek at your file before you officially became my legal guardian." I fold my hands in front of my waist. "Glad to see you don't have a very serious criminal record." I nod.

"Criminal record?" Gemma looks at him with an eyebrow raised.

"Yes, he was caught under-aged drinking once or twice." I answer for him. "You know those 'rebellious' teenagers, they do like to party."

Harry laughs dryly and Gemma shakes her head in disapproval, although a small smile forms on her lips.

"I've cleaned up my act, Gem. Don't worry." He teases.

"Hmm, good to know." Gemma rolls her eyes and gets up from the table and throws her plate away in the trash can.

"Okay guys," she says. "I've intruded the Styles's house long enough. I have a plane ticket back to Cheshire for tonight." Gemma exclaims.

I get up and embrace her in a small hug. "Goodbye, Gemma. I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you, too, Bella." She giggles
slightly.

Over this past week, Gemma and I have really connected. She's become like a bigger sister.

She's the only person that understands that she doesn't truly understand.

"I'll miss you most." Harry joins the hug. His unruly curls gently tickle my forehead.

It's a nice, warm hug and I become a little colder when they both pull away.

"Well, I should get packing." Gemma forces a smile.

-

"Bye, Gemma." Harry embraces her in a hug at the airport.

"Bye, Harry." A tear slips from her eye. "It was so lovely to see you again." She turns to me. "And Bella, I'll miss you so much. You're one of the strongest people I know."

I pull her into a hug and Gemma whispers, "I love you."

I love you.

I haven't heard that in a while. I somehow manage a large smile.

"Why do you say that?" I whisper back.

"Because you need to hear it." She pulls the hug tighter. "And I mean it when I say it."

"I love you, too, Gemma." I reply. "And thank you."

It's so nice to have Gemma around.

I'm going to miss her so much. This week has been wonderful. Gemma knows how to treat people. It's a very good quality to have.

She's like the older sibling I've never had. And no, Harry doesn't count as an older sibling.

-

*Harry's POV*

"So, you like Gemma now?" I say as we start down the road in my small car.

It's dark and it's starting to storm. The rain quickly drops on my windshield and I turn on the windshield wipers.

"She's like a big sister, I guess." Bella replies, fighting a smile.

I laugh a little. "Yeah, she has that older sister quality to her doesn't she?"

Bella nods in agreement.

We come up to an intersection and the light is still green.

We start to cross and a truck rushes in front of us.

I slam on the brakes.

We almost hit it and both of us jerk forward in our seats.

I look over and see Bella breathing heavily, tears starting to stream down her cheeks.

"Are you okay, Isabella?" I say in between breaths.

She doesn't answer.

Her eyes are open wide and she just stares ahead.

"Bella!" I say louder.

"Bella!" I shake her shoulder.

She just sits there. Motionless. Nothing moving except her chest going up and down in sync with her heavy breaths.