Chapter 99

×××× make a wish××××
************************************
Mia
****
Mawmaw, a very pregnant Jess, and I rave around the house finishing up the last minute touches. Oscar's friends are starting to show up. I hadn't expected so many to actually show up but they just keep piling in. As it turns out, Oscar has become very poplar with his school mates.
Lex and Chris have taken Oscar out for the day, which allows us ladies to have everything ready in time for his surprise party. The kids giggle and run around. My home has turned into a mad house with all these boys!
Another thirty minutes and Lex will be pulling up. But time seems to fly, with so much still to do. I stand back to admire my work. The dinning room and kitchen have balloons and party gifts everywhere and the living room is set up nicely for the boys to watch whatever movie or game they want to play.
Mawmaw places the candles on the cake one at a time. Carefully, I lit each one. Any second now....
The boy all hush down and stand with us behind the kitchen island. I hear the car pull in. The doors close.
The key in the lock and then..

"Surprise!"

In this moment, I wish I could stop time. Between Oscar's wide eyes, and Lex standing beside him, looking down at Oscar with so much pride, and the happiness in each face, my heart is so full. This is what family is all about. The love. The friendship. The connection between hearts.
I snap as many pictures as I can.
Oscar's yells and runs up to his friends. Once they have all wished him a happy birthday, Oscar's turns his attention to the cake.

"Wow," his voice is low.

Mawmaw starts to sing 'happy birthday' and we all join in. Oscar tries, he tries so hard, but even against all his efforts, he can't stop the tears that swim in his big blue eyes. He looks up to me and smiles.

"Well," Mawmaw says. "Go on and blow them out."

"Don't forget to make your wish," John chimes in.

Oscar looks at each of us slowly. From me to Lex, who is now standing behind me with his arms around me, to Mawmaw and Milo, to John, and Jess who has her arms around Chris.

"Make you're wish, young sir," Milo says.

And Oscar's looks back down at his candles.

"I have nothing to wish for," he says. "All of my dreams have already come true."

Lex's arms tighten around me. And I.... 
I can hardly control my emotions. Mawmaw sighes happily and John beams with pride. But Oscar goes a head anyway.
He closes his eyes.
Says something to himself.
And blows out his candles.
His friends cheer.
And I could almost swear that no where on earth was there ever a happier boy in the world.

After the cake had been eaten and the boys all pile up on the floor in the living room, watching some new scary movie. They have all promised not to get scarred but nevertheless they all jump and yell when the boogie man jumps out.
I finish helping Mawmaw and Milo clean up. It seems that a tornado might not be as bad as young teenage boys. When I have finished, I end up on the sofa next to my husband. Lex throws his heavy arm over my shoulder and I snuggle in his side.
I'm not exactly sure what these crazy kids have us watching but along with them, I jump and yelp.
Out of nowhere, Oscar scoots up in between Lex and I.

" What is it,honey?" I ask him.

He shrugs. "I don't know."

Lex leans over. "What are you two mumbling about?"

Oscar shakes his head. Then leans back on my shoulder.

"Thank you, Mia," Oscar keeps his voice low.

"For the party?" I asked confused.

He nods. "Yeah. The party. The cake. Everything."

And I suddenly get the feeling that...