Chapter 14

¿?¿?¿? Tattoos have a power and magic all their own. They decorate the body but they also enhance the soul.
-Michelle Delis ¿?¿?¿?

************************************
Mia
****
The door bell rings as I step into the shop. It's still early. 9:30am. I am surprised that a tattoo shop would be open at this time. Lex is standing behind the front desk, looking at papers, he glanced up as he see me walk in. And he gives me one of those heart stopping smiles. I remind myself that I am here for a job and not him.
Well, mostly for the job.
The shop is as clean and neat as it was when I first saw it.

"Hey," I say as I walk up to him. I feel bashful, almost shy, and I don't know why.

"So, you really do want this job?" He asks.

"Yes, at least until I can find something else. Will I do the interview with you or the owner?" I ask trying to sound as professional as I can.

He grins wider. "Well, I have it in pretty good with the owner so, I don't see any need for a interview. And I will show you around, tell you what to do. You don't do any drugs, do you?" Then he chuckles softly. "No. I already know you don't. But I like to let people know when they will have one. Kinda a "hey lay off the shit for a while" warning."

I can't believe he just told me that.
He then waves for me to follow him as he walks into a room behind the desk.

"So, are you like a manger or something?" I ask.

"Something like that," he mumbles.

I get the sense that I am missing something but I shrug it off. I just really need a job.

"Here, your gonna have to fill out these papers. You can sit anywhere. I'm gonna be at my station, if you need anything just let me know."

He hands me the papers and then leaves me. I look around the room. A desk sits in the middle but it's the beautiful picture on the wall behind the desk that I can't stop looking at. Whoever the young woman is, she is breath taking. The picture is large and in black and white. It is possibly the most beautiful picture I have ever seen.
This woman faces is not only lovely but it holds a kind of wisdom. Strength. I can't help but wonder who she is. I notice a small signature at the bottom left corner of the picture. I move closer to take a closer look.

A. D' Amore.

Alex D'Amore?
Lex?

He is a tattoo artist. It's obvious that he is talented. But this picture is absolutely mind blowing. Now more than before I wonder who she is. How does he know her? Maybe he was just inspired to draw a beautiful woman one day. Either way, I want to know who she is. But right now, I have papers to fill out.
I sit and do so.
When I am done, I stand, take one last look at the woman and leave the room to find Lex. He is exactly where he said he would be and it makes me think of the night he tattooed me. I feel like so much has happened since that night. That I have changed since then. It wasn't like me to, on an impulse, get a tattoo, or walk off my job. I am changing, I can feel it. And I like it.
I like the person I am becoming.
Lex is relaxed. I take a moment to watch him as he concentrates on his drawing. He is completely in his own world. I watch the muscles in his forearm twitch as his fingers work his pen. In this moment, I realize how much I like him. Even if he is kind of an ass.
Even if he is in a gang.
I don't care.
He glances up and then does a double take.

"You're finished? That was fast."

He puts down his pen and comes towards me. I watch him as he comes. I watch every movement he makes. This man. He might just be the death of me. Between his good looks and tattoos, his smile and dimples, my heart starts to race. He stops inches away from me and holds out his hand. I give him the papers but my eyes never leave his.

"You alright?" He asks.

"Yes," I breathe.

He gives me a look, that says 'okay?', with a raised brow. I blush. God, I was checking him out and now he probably thinks I am an idiot! I follow him back to the front desk.

"Okay, so make sure to answer the phone. Greet the walk ins. And keep up the appointment book. There are four artist here. Each have their own appointments. During any free time, we will take in walk ins. The rest of the guys will be here around eleven. We open at noon. We close around ten, ten thirty. Just depends on what is going on."

I nod in understanding.

"On Sunday's we're closed. I or one of the other guys will take over on your days off. If someone calls for certain artist, make sure you ask the artist before you schedule. Me and the guys are pretty good with keeping up with our own appointments, so you shouldn't have much trouble with this," he opens a book on the front desk.
"This is all of our appointments for the next month. The guys will check this out, so just leave it here."

I take in all of this information as much as I can. He shows me how to take payments and explains the importance of giving out a information sheet for caring for tattoos. I am excited. More than I thought I would be. But then....

"Oh, and one more thing, don't let the guys get to you. Damn, don't let them see you look like that. All scared. They will never let you here the end of it."

He gives me a wink and then leaves me to get comfortable at the front desk. At my desk I can fully see his station. He returns to his drawing and I wait. Not knowing what to do. I wonder if it will always be so laid back around here. I know it won't. I remember the night Jess and I got our tattoos. This place had been packed. It will be again.
The phone rings and I look over to Lex.

"Hello, thank you for calling the Tattoo Shop. How can I help you?"

I think I have done a wonderful job but I look over to see Lex laughing softly.

"Mia? What the hell are you doing there?"

Shit! It's Jessy.

"Ummm. I kinda work here now," I say then bite my lip.

"You what?"

"Yeah, Lex offered me this job and I decided to take it."

"Oh," she says. "How did he get your number? And I thought he hated him now."

I don't tell her that he showed up at my bedroom window last night. Just that I gave him my number before he acted like an ass. She buys it.

"Chris wanted me to call and see if Lex wanted us to bring him something to eat."

I hold my hand over the phone and ask him. Pizza. And I ask Jess to bring me some too. She makes me promise to explain more later. And I hang up.
It's just us now. Until everyone else shows up. But a thought hits me.

"Hey," I say. "I have a question. Who will work the front desk on my days off?"

He shrugs. "I guess I will."

My brows come together. "But you can't tattoo and do this. Don't you have days off too? Who will do it then?"

He grins. "You would be surprised all the things I can do in one day. And yes, I take days off. And.... Sometimes I will have to leave. So, I will tell you when I have to move appointments."

I am confused. "But won't you get in trouble for just leaving? Coming and going when you please."

His grin gets wider. "Nah, girl. I pretty much do what I want around here."

"But won't the boss get ticked?"

He leans back in his chair. "I am the boss."

My eyes nearly pop out. "This is your shop?!"

He nods. "Yeah, babe."

(Hope everyone likes this. I have had a hell of a week so please forgive any typos. And also, I want to mention the fact that I, of course, don't own any of the pictures I load on here. Just trying to give everyone an idea of how I picture things for this story. But the guy I picture as Lex is Stephen James Hendry. He is a model and absolutely how I picture Lex. Who do you guys think is the woman in the picture? Just wondering what everyone thinks. Xoxo. Thanks for reading!! Please vote and comment, it means the world to me.)