Chapter 34

¤¤¤ stay.... I need you more than you think... ¤¤¤

************************************

Mia
****
The light above me is too bright. Something feels like its pressing down on my chest. I want to push it off of me but I can't move. All I can do is look into the light.

"Clear!"

A jolt of pain shocks me.... I'm awake. But my eyes won't open. I want them too. But they don't.
Now there is only darkness.

......

"Mia, wake up honey."

Mawmaw. I hear her. I open my eyes. She stands over me. With tears in her eyes.

"Finally, you were quiet stubborn there for a while."

I blink at her.

"Where are we?" I ask.

"At Lex's house. You were at the hospital for two days and then we had you moved here."

"Lex? Where is he?"

I look around and sure enough, I am laying in his bed.  The bed at his father's house. But how?

"They let me come here?"

"Well," she relaxes. "After they assured us that you were just sleeping, Lex demanded that you be brought home. The Doctors didn't like it at first but Lex insisted. Lex has brought in a Doctor, here in this house, to be here with you until you woke up."

"I've been asleep?"

"For a week."

A week? But it couldn't have been a week since..... Oh God! Everything I owned. My parents pictures. Everything it's all gone. I raise my hand, to cover my eyes, and I feel a pull on my hand. I'm hooked up to an IV. My eyes follow the tubing up to see a drip of medicine.

"Mawmaw," my voice is weak. "is it all gone? Everything?"

Her face turns sad. I know the answer before she can give it.

"Yes." Her tears return. "We were lucky that Lex was able to get to you when he did. You almost died. He kept your heart going. But as soon as he stopped it stopped too. They shocked you to get it going again."

Which would explain the soreness in my chest.
Lex.

"Where is he?"

"He hasn't left your side. Not for a second. I told him to go eat something and get a shower. The poor boy looked like hell."

I nod. My head hurts. Lex saved my life. Everything I owned is gone. I want to cry but that will only cause more pain.

"Rest, sweetheart."

Mawmaw knows me so well. I've missed her.

..........

"She was awake?! Why, didn't someone come get me? I wanted to be here!"

I hear him. My eyes open, Just enough to see him bend down next to my bedside. He reaches out, taking my hand in his. He brings it to his lips for a soft kiss. I rub my index finger over his bottom lip.

"You're awake," he whispers. "I was starting to wonder if you ever would."

I grin. "Thank you for what you did. You saved my life."

"I couldn't lose you.....I need you.... This is all my fault, Mia. I swear to you, I will find this son of a bitch."

"Shhh...." I soothe him. "Don't worry about that now. Just....hold me."

Mawmaw and Jess, who I didn't even realize was here until now, leave quitely. Both knowing that we needed to be alone for a while. Lex, gently, lays down beside me. He is careful not to get tangled or pull my IV. I snuggle up next to him. My chest is still sore. He hears me whine.

"It's my fault you hurt so bad too. When I was giving you CPR, I broke your sterum. I'm sorry for that."

"Please, stop apologizing. If you hadn't I would probably be dead right now."

He sighs sadly. "I had expected you to be angry. Furious. Yet here you are, thanking me. It's because of me all this has happened to you Mia."

"None of that matters."

"How can you say that? You almost died."

"But I didn't. Because of you."

He is becoming irritated. "But it's because of me all this fucked happened."

"So,  what are you staying? That you regret us being together?"

"No! But I hate that this has happened to you, all because you're with me."

I'm becoming irritated now. So, I don't say anymore. Getting upset is only going to make my head hurt worse. I change the subject.

"Lex, why did you take me from the hospital? How could you do that?"

"I took you away from there because if, whoever it was, found out where you were at they might try to come and finish what they started. And as far as how I could do it, well, let's just say I have connections."

"I guess I was forgetting that you do seem to know everyone."

"Yeah, well, besides, I don't really like the Doctors there. They aren't as clean as people think."

I look up at him. "What do you mean? Drugs?"

"Most of the doctors around here are more famous for drugs than their medical practices. At least, to the under ground world."

"And what about the Doctor Who has been looking after me?" I ask.

"Doctor Logan is the one who helped me get clean. He is the best. He's been working for my father since before I was born. I trust him over the rest."

I relax against him again. "Thank you for taking such good care of me."

I'm not sure when I fell asleep but the next time I wake, it's to see John, Lex's father. He is standing over me. Next to him is another man. I assume, the doctor.

"How are you feeling, dear?" John asks.

"Fine." I look to Doctor Logan.  "Hello," I say.

He reaches out his hand. "A pleasure, Miss."

"Thank you. For taking care of me," it's a silly thing to say, since I'm sure he is being paid a great deal of money for treating me.

"It has been a pleasure. Now, I have removed your IV. But should you have any pain, I'm leaving you some medicine for that. You need to take it easy for a while. No lifting. No straining."

I nod. Then look to John. "Where is he?"

The men look at each other. Then John looks back to me. "He had some business to see too."

(Sorry for leaving you guys hanging. Life got in the way of me updating.  But thank you everyone for reading and commenting. Xoxo.)