Chapter 86

{•}{•}{•} no matter what you do to me, I can't unlove you. {•}{•}{•}
************************************
Mia
****
A wave of sickness washes over me. I leap up from the bed to race to the bathroom. I empty the contents of my stomach. The toilet flushing wakes Lex. He stayed in bed with me last night. I look up to find him rubbing the sleep from his eyes, leaning on the door frame of the bathroom.

"You okay?" he asks sleeply.

I wave him away. "No. I think I have food poisoning or something."

His look of concern almost warms my heart but I'm still too angry to let it. My legs shake uncontrollably as I stand. I wash my face off and then brush my teeth. Feeling better, I return to bed, pulling the covers over my head. Lex doesn't say anymore and he doesn't return to bed. I hear him fumbling around in the bathroom, I wonder what he is doing in there, but I don't care enough to find out.
Sleep takes me again.
Sewhere in between dreaming and complete darkness, a sharp pain goes through my chest.  The pain is so bad that it wakes me up. I find that Lex has returned to bed and thrown his arm over my breasts. I wince when I lift his heavy arm off of myself.
Again I get out of bed with a swimming head. The room spins for a moment and it makes my mouth water, I feel sick again. Once the room settles down to normal, I stand. We have to be at the airport in less than two hours. I begin to pack slowly. Rushing around only makes me feel sick again. But I'm able to work at a steady pace. Before long, I have everything packed and waiting at the door. Now, all I have to do is wake my annoying husband.
He sleeps hard.
It had been a late and long night last night.
We're both exhausted.
The only reason I feel so badly is stress, I'm sure.
I watch as his eyes dance behind his eyelids.
This man honest to God has to be the most handsome man I have ever seen in my life.
And I love him dearly. With all my heart, I do.
I just wish I could understand him. And then again, no I don't. I wish he could understand me. And then I see his phone light up.
Tiffany.
Her name pops up. 
Immediately, I lift the phone off the night stand. I don't want its buzzing to wake him. I slip into the bathroom and shut the door behind me. Locking it, just in case.

"Hello, Tiffany," I hiss.

"Mia?" she sounds surprised. 

"Yes. What other woman would be answering my husband's phone?"

It takes her a second to speak again. "You're right. How silly of me. Is Lex around?"

"Yes, he is."

She clears her throat. "May I speak to him?"

"No."

"Mia, sweetie, I think you've gotten the wrong idea about me."

I laugh. "No. I think I've gotten the impression. You want something you can't have and it drives you crazy. Kinda ironic isn't, that you're a therapist but you're the one that's crazy! But I promise you this, if you ever call my husband's phone again, I will be more than happy to show you what crazy really is!"

I hang up and walk out of the bathroom as if nothing ever happened.

On the plane ride to Georgia, Lex reaches over to hold my hand. We've been on two different planes now but finally we are on our way home. This helps brighten my mood a bit. But every time we are offered food, I go green in the face. Lex waves them away, but he has to eat sometime.

"When we get home, you need to see a doctor."

I sigh. "I'll be fine. I think it's just that so much has been going on and it has my nerves tore up."

He nods but then....  "Or it could be that you missed a pill."

My eyes snap up to him. "You saw my pills."

He nods again. "Yes. I looked this morning when u were sick."

I bite my lip. "It was just one missed pill."

He chuckles. "Yeah. Well, my mom missed a pill once and nine months later, here I come."

"Are you angry with me again?" I mumble.

"How can I be? We were tired that night. It would have been easy for you to forget."

I blink at him, surprised at how mature he is being about this.

"Thank you for understanding but I really don't think that I'm pregnant."

He glances over at me with a knowing look.

"I wouldn't bet your ass on that one baby."

And I have to ask. "If I were, would that be okay with you?"

He shrugs his shoulders. "It wouldn't matter. There wouldn't be anything to do about. And a abortion is out of the question. So, we would have the child you said you wanted."

I'm hurt slightly. "Lex, it wasn't like I sat out for this to happen."

"I know that. I told you it wasn't your fault, that night we were exhausted. And then the next morning we had sex. And that afternoon. And that evening, and that was like three weeks ago. You could just be showing symptoms earlier than it usually takes."

I watch him closely. He doesn't seem angry. A little uneasy but so am I. But for the life of me, I really don't think I am pregnant. Wouldn't it take longer than a few weeks to tell? And we have been fighting a lot lately, maybe it is just nervous energy.
I give up thinking about it and close my eyes. Sleep hits me hard. It seem like only a second before Lex is shaking my shoulder gently to wake me up.

"Come on, baby. We're home."

Home! Ah, finally. It's nice to know we have a place to call home. A little safe haven for just us. Well, and Mawmaw. And of course, Oscar. Oh God, how I've missed them! They will be waiting for us in our new home. My excitement bubbles up. Lex can tell and he smiles at me. He has also missed them. Jess should be showing by now, and I can hardly wait to see her. Milo is waiting with a car. And I can't help myself, I run up to him, hugging him closely, and kiss his cheek.

"It is nice to see you too, Mrs. D'Amore."

Lex walks up beside me, he shakes Milo's hand, and then places his arm around.

"Welcome home," Milo says as he shows us to the car.