Chapter 95

-----a person is a person, no matter how small. Dr. Seuss------
************************************
Mia
****
My life is wonderful. I have everything I could ever want. My husband, our child, our home, and our family. Everything is perfect. I'm standing in a field of golden color. The air around me is warm and a light breezes blows through my hair. My hands rest on my large round belly. The sun shines down on my face. So bright I have to shield my eyes. For a moment, everything is peaceful. Perfect.
Then a dark black cloud blocks the sun. The breeze has turned into a violent wind, which causes the golden grass to sway back and forth. Something bad is happening. I feel it deep inside. I turn to run, but my feet sink down into the ground. Rain falls heavily, now the ground has turn soggy and my feet are hidden in mud. I try to lift my foot. One and then the other, shortly, I become exhausted. I call out for Lex, even though he is no where to be seen, he is always near. He would never leave me. But I can't see him.
"Lex! Where are you?!"
No answer.
Only the sound of wind and rain.
And out of no where, a sharp pain slices through me. Like a knife to my gut. I double over, stuck in the mud, with no one to help me. The pain hits me again, harder this time than before. I scream. It's too much! What is happening to me? My baby! Panic, the most intense fear hits me, right the chest.
My baby!
The earth shakes me.
The pain is worse.
My body cramps up.
I scream again.
~¤~

Lex
****
The screaming woke me. I jumped up, not knowing what was happening. Mia left the bathroom light on again, and it's only because of the light bit of light that I realize what I'm covered in. Blood.
My wife cries out again, sending the most fear I have ever experienced in my life straight to my heart. No. This wasn't happening! It couldn't be! I touch Mia's shoulders, shaking her a little, she screams again.
I've never seen so much blood, not even when I got shot, or stabbed, or shit beat outta me.
When her eyes open, she inhaled deeply. And then she starts hyperventilating uncontrollably.

"Lex, ....what's.....happening?" She can barely speak.

I jump from the bed, to grab my phone, and call for help. When I switch on the nightstand lamp, she screams again, finally noticing all the blood. I hold the phone to my ear, and try to calm her down. She has just entered her second trimester and now this is happening. The Doctor said it would be unlikely to lose a baby once we made it this far, but that it wasn't impossible either. And now..... The impossible was happening to us. I am almost sure of it. I may not know much about babies or pregnancy but bleeding like this isn't good.
Our baby.
The baby that had surprised both of us.
The child that wasn't even born yet but still had already brought us so much joy.
And we are losing it.
Mia is hysterical. Beyond what I have ever seen. Which only causes me more fear. She is pain. Our child must be too, if it is still alive in there. Watching this, and not having a clue what to do, is torture worse than I can explain.
When I finally have help on its way, I place the phone down beside her, and try to help her breath. Mawmaw bursts into our bedroom and surprisly, she keeps calm.

"Alright, it's okay. Hush now sweetheart," she confronts Mia. And even me some. "Lex, we have to get her cleaned up and yourself. Bring her into the bathroom."

I bend down to scoop her into my arms, not caring at all about getting more blood on me, but when she winced as her body moves, I freeze.

"It's okay, baby. I've got you," I try to soothe her as best as I can. 

With great care, I carry her to the bathroom. Sitting her down gently. Mawmaw waters down some wash clothes, and I take them from before she can begin to wash Mia's legs down. I'd rather do it myself, though I'm very greatful Mawmaw is here, it's my job to take care of my wife. I wouldn't have it any other way. Mawmaw heads back to her room, to change out of her night clothes and wait for the EMT's to arrive.
I wash Mia's body down, she doesn't move, she isn't even crying anymore. Her breathing is still heavy but other than that, and I am beginning to fear that she is going into some kinda shock. I lift my t-shirt, she is wearing of her head. I toss it into tub, and her panties too. I will toss them out later. She sits, eyes open, and empty. Every so often I can see the pain in her eyes and then they go blank again.
I help her into new clean clothes and then begin to clean myself up.
Even as I tend to myself, my eyes travel to her. She reaches down and touches her belly. Her baby isn't very big yet, but it's most definitely a baby. Will they cut it out of Her? Or will she have to go through a still born birth? God, I hope not.
I'm sure I could deal with that. And I can't even imagine what it would be like for her! The thought hurts my heart. I feel as if a hole has been punched through my chest. I watch as she removes her feminine products from under the cabinet, she glances up at me, and I take the hint.

"Ill be just outside."

I kiss the top of her head. The door shuts softly, but.... but.... Oh, God, our baby! Unashamed, I let the tears fall. I bend down, resting my elbows on my knees. I try to be quite, I don't wanna upset her even more, but I can't hold it in either. I can't believe how painful this. Sure, you hear about it. You know it's possible when you found out a baby is on its way, but I never thought in a millions years this would happen to us!
Anger fills me.
I need to beat something or someone. I've only ever felt this much rage a few times in my life.
When my mother died. When Mia was almost raped. And when I lost her. And now this!
But I can't let out this demon inside me. Not now. Not while Mia needs me.