Chapter 97

▪■▪■▪■ heartache has a way of bringing people together, closer, than they ever thought they could. Because your emotions are so raw, you see the real person within. ▪■▪■▪■
************************************
Mia
****
After a painful, DNC, to clean out my body from my miscarriage, I am released to go home. Today, is a dark wet rainy day, which matches my mood and broken heart perfectly. Lex drives slowly, careful not to stop too hard or turn too sharply. For that, I am greatful. I had been put to sleep for my DNC but when I woke, the cramps are almost unbearable.
Lex touches my hand when he stops at a red light. It's a gentle reminder that I'm not all alone in this. I give him a small smile. Staying curled up in a ball is the only relief from my cramps. They had given me pain meds but I seriously doubt that I'll take them.
We pull into our driveway, the front gate is opened, and Lex pulls softly to a stop in front of our home. He gets out and rushes over to open my door.
Before I can even attempt to get out, Lex swoops down to lift me in his arms. He is so gentle with me and I lay my head on his shoulder.
Once we are inside, I expect him to let me down, but he does not. Instead, he holds me tightly and doesn't let me down until he places me on our bed. He then, without saying a word, removes my shoes, and helps me get under the covers. I snuggle down, wincing every so often from my cramps, and hold his hand. We don't speak. He sits beside me, his thumb softly runs over my knuckles. Even as we hear Mawmaw and Oscar come into the house downstairs, neither of us move. I lay close to him, needing his body heat to ease my pain. My eyes become heavy. Sleep washes over me like a wave from the seas.

I wake, it's dark out. Lex is no longer by my side. A heating pad lays over my lower stomach and a glass of water with two little pills lay on the side table. I sit up carefully, holding my heating pad tightly to me, and take my pills. For a moment all I want is to roll over and return to my sleep but the need to know where my husband is bothers me more. For some reason, I get the feeling that wherever he is, he needs me. Kinda like a 6th sence.
I check the time, to find it is 2am. Oscar is sleeping, half way having off his bed, with his tv shows still playing.  I flip his tv off and try my best to fix him right in his bed. Shutting his door, I across the hall to find Mawmaw asleep in her chair, her knitting needles resting on her lap. I removing her glasses and place a throw blanket over her.
Thoughts of how wonderful my family is run through my mind as I make my way, one painful step at a time down our staircase. Most of the lights are turned off. The only brightness comes from the cracked door, leading outside to the back yard. I step out into the night air and a swift cramp stops all my movement, and for a moment even my breath. The leaves are beginning to change and the air is becoming more crisp and cool.
I hear voices coming from the side of our home. I walk slowly and quite as possible, towards the men who are having a rather loud discussion. I stay to the shadows, not wanting to be seen. My heart falls as I take in the heartbreaking scene before me.
My husband.
Beating a tree, with his hands.
My father-in-law, John, trying to stop him.
Chris and Milo are here too, begging him to stop. Instantly, I take a step forward but stop when I hear my husband's crys of rage and pain.

"Alex, stop this madness! You can not change it!" John tries his tough love on my husband, which only causes another hit with his fist into the trees bark.

Tears form in my eyes. I want to stop him but I'm frozen in place.

Chris is the next to speak. "Lex, come on. This is doing anything but hurting yourself. Stop it!"

Lex turns his rage to his best friend, his brother. My husband swings, and misses? Odd. Lex never misses. He is a trained fighter. And then I notice the empty bottles on the ground. He is drunk, very drunk.

"Stand still, you basturd!" Lex yells at Chris.

Chris bobs out of the way, just in the nick of time.