Love Thy Neighbor

Start from the beginning

"And you, De Leon," My shoe made a sound when I made another twist, facing back Mr. Morada. "...you innocent-looking cunt-" I raised a brow. Jared Morada must've realized what he just said and just decided to shut his mouth. Teegan hissed upon hearing that. She's always been the protective one. "Hmm, because of your friend's attitude, De Leon, you'll both be punished. You know how it is. Drop!"

"Nah, you just hate us. Nababara ka kasi namin," Teegan spoke silently. It wasn't a whisper. It's an obvie that Mr. Morada heard us. I could've sworn I saw a smile curved the man's lips. "Tarantadong matanda," That part, I prayed he didn't pay attention to. Wala din kasing pinipiling murahin itong kaibigan ko, que matanda o bata, kung bastos, hindi papalampasin. "Ano, Reese? Totoo naman."

"And you two; get outta there." Sighing with relief, the taller girl rubbed my back, pushing me softly. Teegan was standing behind me. "Squat thrust, five weeks!"

I gagged and winked at Centeno before speaking, "Mass commands cadence command!" And both me and my friend right here spoke in unison, "Commence exercise!"

"That's what you get, people, for being so arrogant." The tourism students laughed as they pass us by. One of them, I flirted with last month. "De Leon, ayusin mo!" Maayos naman. Trip lang talaga niya ako. Mas nilakasan namin ni Teegan ang pagbibilang. Naawa tuloy yung teacher ed kong naka-chat last week.

Morada kept on babbling about something, me and Teegan, did in the past. I think it was the noise barrage or something, and Teegan and I lit up fireworks. It went on and on until we were done. Like that'll break us. I don't think so. Kapag hinampas siguro ang ulo naming dalawa sa bato, yung bato ang mababasag.

"Reese, you tired, baby?" Our classmates laughed when they heard one of the medical allied courses students, rounded up near the pavilion, asking me that.

"Miss, busy yung baby ko. 'Wag mong iniistorbo," Sabi naman nung guy na galing sa Fine Arts na graduating din gaya ko. "Hi, Reese. I made a mini sculpture of you."

"Kota na ba, bud?" Bulong ng kaibigan ko, hingal na rin. "I thought you don't wanna be on the radar?"

"Ready, hold!" I shouted upon finishing the said exercise. "Fuck, my left knee hurts." Ah, ang ispiritu ng ACL tear ay narito pa. "'Di pa ba matatapos ang meeting na 'to?"

"Easy. Tiisin mo muna."

"Permission to join the platoon, sir!"

"Nice. Akala ko papasayawin pa tayo and all, eh," Teegan said to me in a low, monotone voice. Both of us smirked and gave high five to each other secretly before going back in line. "I hope grandpa's happy." I bet he is, look at him wear that crazed smile. Ang hirap-hirap pa namang mag-tuck in, animal. Gusot ang inner shirt ko nito. "You okay?"

"Yeah..."

The students kept on talking to their team members, sounding excited and all the shebang. I wasn't paying attention, until I heard Mr. Morada say, "And Alpha, of course, gets the home of the weakest pillar of the Criminal Justice System."

"Wait, what?" I grunted, knowing that I'd been screwed. I want to be the first responder, or the one who puts the fire out, and not sit all day, watching detainees and inmates, or what they call now Persons Deprived of Liberty slash PDL, doing the same routine every day.

"Do we have a problem, De Leon?" I shook my head, breathing heavily. I can hear Centeno's evil laugh from where I stood. "Galit ka ba, hah?"

"No, sir." I wanted to throw a fit, but with all my might, I was able to kill the damning feeling of outburst. It's okay, Robin. It'll be over soon. Just breathe.