thirty six

Dan isn't in school on Friday, so I spend the day alone, but by choice. I don't want to be near those twats anymore, even if that's what my reputation depends on. I don't fucking care about my bloody reputation anymore. I spend the whole of today, Saturday, texting Dan non-stop, not being able to call him, or the people at his stupid orphanage would hear and get mad. The sun has set, meaning it's pitch black outside, and there's a knock at the door. Nobody ever knocks on the door. Nobody ever comes here.

I run down the stairs, texting Dan that I'd be right back, and hesitate, before opening the door. It's a motherfucking police officer.

"Hey, are you Phil Lester?" They ask, rather casually for someone of that status, but it's calming to the situation.

"Yeah, that's me," I answer, suddenly wondering just how drunk I was the other night, and how badly I must've fucked up.

"You're mother, Melissa-"

"Step-mother." I cut them off, and they nod.

"Sorry, you're step-mother. She got into a fight tonight and was basically really drunk, and it ended up with her, um, she got an injury in the head from who she was fighting, and she's- she's dead." They say, and my jaw drops, but it's not like I'm sad. Far from it, actually.

"O-Okay,"

"I'm sorry I had to deliver the news. If there's anything I can do to help; if you need-"

"Oh, I'm fine, actually. Not that I'm, like, a psychopath or some emotionless freak, but she was an asshole that meant nothing to me." I say, but I probably shouldn't've. Can I get in trouble for saying that?

"Right, oh, well okay. Also, if you need help financially, as she was you're only family member left."

"I'll be fine on my own thanks, miss."

"Good luck, then, Mr Lester."

I check my phone as soon as she leaves, still in disbelief, but there's no time to comprehend the situation. She's gone. I feel like screaming and punching everything, in a happy way, obviously. I'm overjoyed.

00:12, 11th June.

I stare at the numbers on the screen; Dan's birthday. He's 18 now; he can get out of that fucking place. Well, he could if he weren't on lockdown.

- come to my house rn, bring clothes and anything that you want to keep. I'll explain when u get here.

Dan- ok

I laugh slightly at him not even questioning it, and begin to pack up some clothes, and other shit. It's a crazy idea in my head, and will probably be a massive failure, but it's a chance to have some fun.