eight

It's almost completely dark by the time I start to head back to the orphanage. My skin is icy cold, a blush most likely spread across from one cheek to another, nose vibrant red in between. My hands are covered by the sleeves of my black hoodie, tips of my fingers poking out. The only noise around is the sound of my feet dragging along the jagged gravel. I stare down at my scuffed shoes, kicking at the air as I'm shuffling 'home', because, at this point, it's so slow that I don't know if it can be considered walking.

I open the large front door, leading into the main room, where people come to visit and meet people they want to adopt. Not gonna happen to me. I had hope 9 years ago. I don't have hope anymore, and I don't want it either. I walk into the kitchen, as they let me deal with my own food at this age. I'm 17, and to think, I was 8 when I first walked in after losing my parents. I didn't care; I still don't. I suspected that they hated me.

I grab a box of cereal, and some milk, pouring it all into a bowl and carrying it up the stairs. I don't eat much, cause I'm short and skinny, so I have a small appetite. Walking up, I see one of the little girls here, walking down. She's 12, or something, and taller than me. We talk sometimes, but I wouldn't consider her a friend. Only because I'm too scared. 

"Hey, Dan. Did you just get back?" She asks in a small whisper.

"Yeah, what the hell are you doing up, Grace?" I ask, her twirling her blonde hair between her fingers.

"Just hungry. You're usually home earlier?"

"I had to think for longer."

"About?" She asks intrusively with a giggle. When I don't answer, she speaks up again. "Was it about boys? I do that too."

"Well, a boy, if it really interests you. I'm going to bed now." I say, and she squeals a bit, and then we leave each other.

It's true, I was thinking about a boy. He's popular, but he doesn't like it. He says that his friends are assholes, but I think he likes me. He calls me cute and helped me up when I was down; literally, I fell off a swing. Maybe he's straight, though.

I highly doubt that.