nine

After being unpleasantly awoken by the beeping of a shitty alarm on my phone, I hop out of bed, knowing that I'd regret sleeping in, and swing open the wardrobe. It's mainly clothes from ages ago that haven't been replaced, as I haven't grown; or things that are far too big because they've been handed down. I select a black band t-shirt, an oversized hoodie that reaches halfway down my thighs; also black, and a pair of black jeans with useless zips on. I pull on my shoes- which are a few sizes too big, grabbing my bag and skipping down all of the stairs. 

I keep my head down as I walk, fully aware that dressing so dimly attracts attention around here. School looms over me like every morning, and I gaze over the groups of people laughing, enjoying themselves, having fun. As much as I envy that; I'd rather not be an asshole. If having fun means being a jock that beats up people like me: then fuck no, I'll stick to a boring life.

Of course, one of those groups is that very group of jocks- Max, Justin, Pete, Ian, etc. All of them are along with who I assume are their girlfriends, based on the fact that they all have an arm slung around someone's waist. I avert my eyes away, wanting no attention, but I can't help but notice that Phil isn't there.

"Hey, there's our favourite twat!" Max shouts, and I know it's him without looking. His voice is distinctive.

"Get it over with," I mumble as he approaches, followed by everyone else.

One second, my feet are firmly on the ground, the next, I'm forced up against the wall, so light that anyone could do it. 

"Broke your arm last time, let's see what we can do now. Maybe those short little legs!" He jeers, and someone kicks my 'short little legs' as he does. I try not to wince in pain, getting the blast of a fist to my face, and then I let a little whimper escape my lips.

I expect it to last longer, to be more torturous, but then I'm being dropped to the ground, them all running off and shouting. I can't understand any of it, my ears are ringing and head spinning. I spend a few minutes leaned up against the wall, and then I stand up and walk away like nothing happened.