Chapter twenty-five: Wizard Duel

I woke up in the middle of the night with the gut feeling of knowing what I needed to do; 'When the moon is full and at its highest, let the music from the tower guide you back here.' 

I quickly slipped out of bed being careful not to wake Chloe and tip-toed my way out of the dormitory. Once I was outside, I made a sprint for it. I followed the sound of the music, which was clear as day.

The adrenaline rushed through my veins. I watched the ivory moon turn blood red, and I knew that I didn't have much time left. Time is of the essence. Eventually, my feet stopped at the door to the tower. The second I approached the door, it flew open.

The second I walked through the door, I wasn't wearing my butterfly pajamas anymore. My outfit changed into a white dress similar to Nora's.

The place was illuminated with golden yellow lighting. As if, somebody is or recently was here. The first thing I saw was a Chimera asleep next to a staircase. I held my breath and quietly walked past the beast. I could feel my heart beat against my ribcage, and my heartbeat could be heard with my own ears. I made my way to the outlandish spiral staircase and raced up the stairs.

The stairs felt like they were going on forever, but I eventually made it and found Elias, Luca, and a not so well Yukiya propped up against the wall. Unlike the two's usual bickering, this was far more different. They were at each other's throats. So focused on each other, they didn't notice me come in and rush over to Yukiya.

My dreams weren't nightmares, they were prophetic. They were preparing me for this...

"Oh, my god! Is he dead?" I frantically yelled checking for a heartbeat, thankfully there was one.

"Just passed out. But, I'm not focused on him right now," Luca answered cold-heartedly walking over to me. He gripped my forearm harshly as I whimpered in pain. "I'm focused on you."

I knew something was off about Luca. Now I understand. He was like a crocodile hiding in a creek, waiting for the perfect time to attack...

"Luca, stop! You're hurting her!"

"You have something I need, Katherine."

"I tried to give you that stupid mirror!" I screamed. I used my free arm to elbow Luca in the jaw quick enough to get free and run, but he was too quick on his feet. He put me in a position where I couldn't fight; he drew his wand and pointed it towards my neck...

A/N: It's going down.. I'm yelling timber! (Yes, I know my jokes are bad)

"Luca, let her go!"

Ignoring Elias, Luca spoke on. "You really think I care about that stupid mirror!?"

"Stop it, right now!" 

"Or what? What are you going to do?" He taunted, pressing his wand against my neck even harsher almost penetrating my skin. "I have lived for this day, and I won't let anyone, not even you, get in my way."

I didn't know whether to pull something and risk him hurting me, or risk him hurting Elias. He has me exactly where he wants me to be; vulnerable.

"You're not going to hurt her. You need her for something."

"But what, Prince Elias?" Luca asked with a psychotic smile plastered on his face. Answering his own question, he exclaimed, "She needs to perform the ritual!"

"Why? What do you want from the Dragon of Time?"

"I'm afraid that's none of your business." Luca sneered with a cocky smile.

"She's my Buddy, so it is my business." Luca, at last, let me go and held his stomach laughing as if it was the funniest thing ever. I ran into Elias' arms and made a brief hug before he moved me behind him in a protective stance.

Are you kidding me? I can stop him with the amount of power I have!

"Really, Elias? Still making the 'Buddy Excuse'?" He wiped the smug look off of his face before proposing a deal. "I'll tell you what. Duel with me. If I win, I get Katherine. If you win, you get her. Deal?"

"Deal."

"Woah, woah, woah! Elias, think this through!" I grabbed Elias by the forearm so he would face me and be convinced that this was a terrible idea.

"I am thinking this through."

"No, you're not! You could get hurt!"

"He tried to hurt you!"

"This isn't safe! Duel rule number eighteen: A duel must be supervised!"

"'Supervised', what are we, five? Yukiya can supervise." Luca replied pointing to Yukiya.

"Yukiya is unconscious on the ground! What about rule number four? A doctor on sight?"

"You're skilled in medical practices.." Elias pointed out.

"I am not a certified doctor-"

Luca cut me off. "Katherine, you're a smart girl. Duelling is what gentlemen do. We have to do this."

"You don't have to do anything. If you ask me, it's unnecessary. All of it! I'm going to be Guardian one way or another. Therefore, a duel is not needed."

"Sadly, Katherine, you have no say in this. I'm actually surprised you're trying to stop this. If I had two guys fight over me, I'd be pretty wooed." Luca replied with a grin. "Elias, are we going to duel or are you going to help your precious 'Buddy' come up with a million excuses?"

"Let's duel," Elias said pulling out his wand in starting position. Before I look away, Elias rests a hand on my shoulder and whispered, "It'll be over soon. I will buy you some time."

They stood face to face from each other, each giving one other a staredown. "Scared, Elias?"

"You wish." With that being said, they took ten steps.

This is a living nightmare...

"Ira Tonitirus!" Elias commanded as thunder rolled and a streak of lightning came in Luca's direction.

"Scutum!" Luca boomed, blocking Elias' spell. "Flau! Globus!" A fire burst from his wand into a ball and aimed straight at Elias.

"Scutum Ventos!" Elias shouted creating a wind barrier protecting him from the fireball.

"Nice one, Prince Elias." Luca said with a raised eyebrow.

"I told you not to call me that! Sagitta Lumen!" Multiple golden yellow light arrows flew towards Luca's way.

"Scutum!" Luca pulled a barrier to protect him but one of the arrows got through and cut through his cloak.

'Now.' I realized; it had to be done now...

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted something red twinkling; a single ruby gem on the eye of the dragon. I was holding the other identical ruby in my left hand. I desperately sprinted to the Dragon of Time but carefully dodged Elias and Luca's spells being thrown at each other.

When I finally reached to the Dragon, I carefully placed the ruby where it belonged and then, everything was still, quiet, almost like it was frozen in time. I pressed foreheads with the dragon and sung the song...