Chapter eleven: Chosen One

{ Katherine's P.O.V }

This is the second attempt at me trying to take the mirror. It's officially way past midnight and I'm confident that Schuyler won't be in my way. Maybe I'll see what a Guardian looks like if they're even there...

I could hear the sounds of shuffling feet across the marble floor as I crept down the hallway. The footsteps came to a stop and I looked towards the source of the noise to see a strange girl. I froze when I saw her. Even from the distance that I was from her, I could recognize certain details about her. She wore a flowing but not poofy white dress that reached down to her calves. She had olive skin, wavy long brown hair reaching to her elbows, and walked around the hallways barefooted. She looked around my age maybe even a few years older.

She made a small giggle before running off in another hallway. I dashed after her. Just when I thought I lost her for good, I saw her white dress out of the corner of my eye race to another part of the hallway. I continued chasing her until I stopped in my tracks at where she took me; the headmaster's office...

Did a Guardian seriously show me where the mirror is?

"Thank you, whoever you are!" I said with my voice barely above a whisper. When I felt that the coast was clear, I entered the headmaster's unlocked office. The room was well-lit, as if someone was previously there. I noticed a small treasure chest at the edge of the desk that caught my eye.

There was a keyhole and the name 'persona mirror' neatly etched into it. I was debating whether or not I should use a spell to open it. Minutes later, I come to the conclusion to try opening the chest with my hands and, it worked.

Inside had a small mirror wrapped around neatly with a dark rose pink cloth. I was close to grabbing it but a hand, coming out of nowhere swipes it. When I looked up, I saw a woman with fire-engine red hair and intimidating orange eyes looking down at me. "Do you want this mirror?"

"Yes." I answered. My mind raced and attempted to figure out who this mysterious woman is. I have never once seen her around the academy let alone my life!

"Tell me. Why do you want this mirror?"

"I want to know how my Buddy truly feels about me."

"You mean, Elias?" My mouth dropped open and my eyes were the size of dinner plates. She laughed at my reaction. "Honey, I have eyes everywhere! Anywho, can you solve my riddles? If you can answer all of them, I will lend you the mirror."

I gave a small nod to let her know I was ready. "'By day, I'm the window of a mirror. By night, I'm the door of a skin.' What am I?"

"An eye?" I riskily guessed.

"Correct! 'You can see me sometimes above you, sometimes in a smile and sometimes not at all.' What am I?"

"The moon."

"Ooh, you're a smart cookie! Next one; 'who are you? Are you me? Here, time goes backwards, and right is left and left is right.' What am I looking at?"

"A mirror."

"Perfect! Last one; who am I?" She laughed as she watched me pathetically try to figure out who she is. "I'll let you off the hook tonight. But, if you don't have an answer by the next time we meet, I'll eat you from head to toe, okay? Haha, lighten up, chosen one." I loosened up when I realized she was only teasing about eating me.

At last, I was handed the mirror. She reminded me that when someone looks into the mirror, they gaze onto their true form. She told me that I may not want to see some things that the mirror shows, and to be careful.

"I look forward to seeing you again." Having said that, she pulled out her wand and lightly waved it, and a bright light filled my vision. When the light was gone and I could see again, I was standing in front of the dormitory.

Dawn was about to crack. I carefully snuck back inside my room and slipped silently into my bed. I began to think of what I just accomplished.

Who was that woman? And why did she call me 'chosen one'?

A/N: I have a question for you: what's the first thing you notice about people?