Chapter ten: Music Room

The bell rung; notifying me that all my classes for the day are done for. Some students went straight for their dorms as told, others leisured in the hallways chatting among their friends, while I went exploring.

It dawned on me that I never had the time to check out every corner of this academy. Strangely, I felt as if I was being watched. But whenever I looked behind me, there was nothing there. I didn't think much of it when I turned my attention to a door labelled the 'music room.'

I opened the door and poked my head in to see if anyone was inside. Even though I saw nobody, I still called out, "Hello? Anyone there?" I grinned as my echoey voice travelled across the room. Excitedly, I stepped inside the spacious room with various instruments.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

{ Elias' P.O.V }

I was on my way to the boys' dormitory until I saw Katherine venture into the music room. It immediately caught my attention. "Hello? Anyone there?" As she called out, her voice ricocheted around the room. She didn't close the door all the way behind her, leaving the door cracked open by a sliver.

I watched her curiously through the crack of the door. Part of me knew it had nothing to do with me and I should mind my own business, but the other part of me was, and still is curious about her. Everything about her is a mystery.

She looked around at all the different instruments surrounding her, and her eyes landed on the marble white grand piano. She took a seat at the piano's bench and started to play away. "One, two, three, one, two, three, a drink. Throw em' back til' I lose count..." Her voice was shy, but soft and delicate like an angel. A great singer, no doubt.

She was so focused on playing, she didn't hear me come in. Then, she sung the chorus confidently, and it was as if her shyness disappeared. "I'm gonna swing, from the chandelier, from the chandelier. I'm gonna live, like tomorrow doesn't exist, like it doesn't exist. I'm gonna fly like a bird through the night, feel my tears as they dry! Help me, I'm holding on for dear life. Won't look down, won't-"

She abruptly stopped and froze when she heard the floorboard creak behind her. When she turned around and realized it was me, her cheeks burned crimson red from embarrassment. In my opinion, she didn't look too bad with a little colour in her cheeks. "S-sorry. I thought I was alone..."

"What are you apologizing for? That was good," I justified, sharing the piano bench with her and pressed a few random keys in a rhythmic tune. "What song were you singing?"

"Chandelier. I didn't know you played music, to be honest." She confessed, her cheeks turning into a rosy shade of pink.

I playfully scoffed. "What do you think I do for a living?"

"Read books and argue with Luca."

"That's not all I do, you know," I defended, swiftly wiping the small smile on my face away and continuing on a serious note. "I play when my brothers don't bother me, which is rarely."

I took in a deep breath before playing the song 'Cancer' by memory. Within the first few seconds, she recognized the song and cracked into a smile. "Now turn away. If you could get me a drink, of water 'cause my lips are chapped and faded oh my agony,"

We sang the song together in perfect harmony. On the outside, I was remaining a serious expression but inside, I was content. I was so glad to see this other side of Katherine, the real side of Katherine. It makes me feel a strange way I've never felt with anyone before...

"-I will not kiss you. 'Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you..." Our voices trailed off in sync. We were so close to each other, I could feel the body heat radiating off of her. I could feel my face heating up as well as hers. Our lips were inches apart and almost met one another's, but she jolted up in nervousness.

"Um, w-we should really head back. We're not supposed to be in here, you know..." She stammered, hurriedly grabbing her book-bag and sped out of the room.

"I'll walk you!" I exclaimed following her out the door. But the second I stepped into the hallway to walk her back to the dormitory, she was nowhere to be seen.

Did I do something wrong?