Chapter five: Piece Of Cake

"That's right. A new student should've joined us," The grey-haired professor announced as he looked around the room, searching for an unfamiliar face. His eyes landed on me and he looked back at me with a kind smile. "Would you happen to be Katherine Espinosa?"

"Yessir." I claimed with a polite smile.

"Pleasure to finally meet you, Katherine. I'm Loran Merkulova, and I'll be teaching classes on astronomy, medical spells, and magic potion pharmaceutics," He explained before beginning the lesson. "Today, we'll be continuing our lesson. Just the basics, so I don't think you'll be having much trouble keeping up." As he spoke, he took out many kinds of medicinal herbs from the basket which he had walked in with. I could identify some of them based on smell.

"Psst, Kate! You got any macaroons?" Luca whispered. I shook my head lightly in response and he scowled. "Rats..."

"Today, we're going to use the rejuvenating water. By enchanting it, we'll make some medicine that can turn back time a little. Aperio!" The professor commanded, waving his wand and a burst of smoke appeared. When the smoke dissolved, on everyone's desk appeared a glass bottle of the water and next to it, a flower pot holding a single flower. "Remember, the incantation is, 'grant this water the power to turn back time. Ree hora.' If you can abbreviate the spell, feel free."

Everyone began to enchant their flowers with the rejuvenating water. I turned to see Yukiya, who was already putting his water on the flower. It turned into a seedling and then a tiny sprout but it abruptly stopped there. The professor walked over to his desk with a clipboard. "Yukiya, what's wrong? You of all people should be able to turn it back into a seed."

"The flower finally got its roots in the ground. I can't just take that away."

"So you, purposefully suppressed your power? I'm sorry, but I can't give you full points for this. But, I do understand how you feel and I think it's wonderful. I'll give you some bonus points." With that said, the professor left Yukiya, scribbling a double-digit number into a square next to his name.

I looked over to Elias, who was already done enchanting the water and putting it on the flower. In an instant, it changed to a seedling, a sprout, and a tiny seed, floating out of the soil and into the palm of his hand. "Talented as ever, Elias." Professor Merkulova praised as applauses rose up from the whole classroom.

Then, I checked up on Luca. "Why do something so complicated? Let's just cut out the middleman. Ree Hora!" Luca waved his wand and almost effortlessly cast the spell directly on the flower. The flower turned back into a seed, flew up from the soil and fell on his desk with a light thud. "Piece of cake." He snickered as he picked up the seed.

"Luca, didn't I say this is magic potion pharmaceutics class?" Merkulova asked Luca sternly.

"Yeah, like five-hundred times," He sassily replied. "But I turned it to a seed, didn't I?"

"That isn't the point. Listen, you must understand this class is for the sake of those who can't use magic. People who can't heal themselves, people who suffer from serious problems, it's for their sake we learn this spell. They can't use magic to solve their problems like us. It's not that simple."

"Yeah, yeah-"

"Luca."

"Got it." He grumbled. Next, professor Merkulova slowly made his way to my desk.

I reached the collar of my shirt to pull out my golden heart-shaped locket for good luck only to find it not around my neck. When I realized it was missing, I frantically searched through my bag and under my desk to find it. My heartbeat and breathing became faster as I was beginning to have a panic attack.