Chapter nineteen: Top Secret

"Since when do chosen Guardians have powers!?"

"Think of it more as a protection. If they feel nervous or in harm, it's just what happens. So they won't die before they can take the role as Guardian. Once you become one, dying is impossible..."

"Who are you?" Elias shouted. He looked down to see Nora but when he noticed how far he is from the ground, he almost slips off and clings onto the branch he was hanging from for dear life. "Get me down from here!"

"How do I set him down?"

"Tell him to come down. Think of it, when you told him to back up, he went into a tree." Her expression softened as she folded her arms.

If the situation wasn't so dire, I wouldn't have been as willing to try it. Shrugging my shoulders, I shouted up at him, "Alright. Elias, you can come down now!"

It was like something was pulling Elias down, prying him off from his grip on the branch. Once he wasn't attached to the tree anymore he was falling down, quickly...

"Wait!" I yelled, causing Elias to just float midair only a few feet off of the ground. My mind will never be able to forget the terrified look on his face. "Gentle, please!"

Slowly but surely, he was put back on the ground. Elias hugged the grass, I could've sworn I saw tears in his eyes when his face was visible. I ran to his side frantically apologizing. My apologies were interrupted when he threw his arms around me.

I was left frozen in shock when I heard a small sniffle from him and I instantly returned the hug. Elias's arms untangled themselves from me after a long time and he pulled away. I almost gasped when I saw tears, dripping off his jawline that left wet lines along his jaw.

His head hung down low to try and hide his eyes. We sat next to one another without a single word until I spoke up. "I never knew you were so scared of heights."

"I've always been afraid of heights," He admitted. "Ever since I was a child. During the holidays, Klaus had received a flying broom as a gift. Our mother lectured him to not let me fly it because I wasn't old enough. I was eight at the time. He didn't listen to her, and he let me do it anyways. I went out of control. I crashed into a tree similar to that one and I didn't come down until dark. I remember the fireflies being out."

My jaw dropped. "That long?"

"Yes, it didn't help that it was about to fall, too."

"Why are you trusting me with this?"

"Because I know you won't tell anybody?"

"Hey, everybody!" I shouted with my hands formed to the shape of a megaphone around my mouth, and just as I'd hoped, he smiled. "Well thank you for telling me this. Now I can know to put you in an even higher tree this time."

The look of sheer terror on his face caused me to crack up, and he was at ease knowing I was only joking. "But seriously, Katherine. What's going on with you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Not a normal wizardess can do any of things you're doing. Sure, you were never a normal wizardess but you're acting more weirder than usual. You didn't even need a wand to send me or Luca flying."

I adverted my eyes at the setting sun nervously. Once all of our books and such were ready to go, we followed the same trail back to the academy. I uttered, "If I tell you, you must promise not to tell anyone. It's top secret."

"Who would I tell?"

"Your brother, who is already aware by the way..." A look of jealously twinged on his face when I mentioned the last part. Despite that, I explained everything to him, not forgetting a single detail. He would ask me some questions occasionally in between, which I would answer honestly.