Chapter three: Buddy System

My mind couldn't stop wondering what the hell the 'Buddy system' was. My thoughts raced as Elias and I walked to the headmaster's office. He won't talk to me about it, or at all. I caught him pinching himself as if the whole thing was a nightmare to him.

Can you believe this guy? It can't be that big of a deal!

Eventually, we stopped at a room with large double doors at the end of the hallway. Elias removed his cloak and gave me a cautious look like I should do the same before knocking on the door. I hurriedly removed my cloak as well. He called out, "It's Elias Goldstein."

"You may enter." The deep voice commanded. As Elias opened the door, I heard the hinges make a low sound, not helping my riddling paranoia.

"Excuse us." Elias spoke as we entered the room. My eyes wandered around looking at all the different objects and details in the rooms. Paintings, large and small of famous wizards and wizardesses, a cozy fireplace in the corner of the room, an artefact of a dragon in a ferocious pose, and then, to the headmaster who stood before us.

His strikingly orange eyes landed on me and he gave me a warming smile. "Now that you're here, I would like to welcome you to Gedonelune Royal Magic Academy. Katherine Espinosa, I wish you a fruitful stay from the bottom of my heart."

"Thank you so much. It's very nice to meet you." I responded gratefully.

"Let's get to the heart of the matter," He stated. "Buddies aren't usually decided on the first week, let alone the first two days. There are many students who don't even make Buddies before graduating. As you see, 'Buddies' are a pair randomly chosen from the student body. Think of them as partners. The reaction of the emblems of the two students who can influence each other well decides this. Your emblems lit up not too long ago, did they?"

"How did you find out about that?" Elias asked, completely baffled. "It wasn't that long ago."

Headmaster Randolph chuckled with a wink. "Let's just say that I have eyes everywhere."

"What's the catch?" I asked, returning back to the topic and preparing for any bad news he was going to tell me.

"The catch is that Buddies are basically stuck in the same boat. If one Buddy's grades and evaluations are bad, then the other's will hurt as well. They need to be together to improve one another. Any questions?"

"How do I cancel this arrangement?" Elias questioned, his eyes coldly fixated on mine, then averted back to the headmaster.

"You don't. Once a Buddy, always a Buddy. Buddies are meant to work together and support each other. I believe that you and Katherine have the potential to do this. Am I wrong?" Elias looked tormented, and truthfully, I feel both hurt and confused. Hurt because he doesn't want to be my Buddy, but confused because I don't know why I care. I just met him!

"Classes will start soon, excuse me." Elias huffed. He gave a brief but polite bow before silently storming out of the headmaster's office.

"Excuse me, too." I bowed too, leaving the headmaster's office and not forgetting to shut the door behind me. Before Elias could get any farther away, I kept up my pace to match his.

"What did I ever do to you?" I snapped, glaring up at him while he tried his best to ignore my presence.

"Just stop following me." He scowled, still power-walking.

"We're going the same way, you know," I shot back and let out a frustrated sigh. "Look, I get it, you're mad... But I didn't ask for this to happen!"

Elias stopped in his tracks and turned to face me. "I don't need a Buddy. Not you, not anyone! Why are you of all people my Buddy!?"

"I don't know, why don't you tell me? Since you happen to know everything!"

"Just don't drag me down, Espinosa." Elias hissed at me, with his voice full of venom. He turned his back on me again and kept walking, ignoring my words...