Chapter twenty-three: Maybe I Have Feelings For You!

Ever since I found out that Elias lied to me, I've been shutting him out. I've purposefully missed our study sessions and instead filling the time in with sulking in my dorm room. It wasn't a very smart move, but what I needed was some space. But I knew deep down I couldn't evade his questions forever...

"-Are you even listening to me?" Luca snapped and waved his long fingers over my face in hopes to get my attention.

"No, sorry..."

Luca snorted, "Classic Kate."

"Sorry," I apologized again. "I've just got a lot on my mind."

"You have Elias on your mind." He pointed out, putting away the pile of books with me one by one. Since I've been spending a lot of my time with him, I felt comfortable enough to tell him what's been happening with me, Elias, and Yukiya.

I only told him about how we both can hear the song in the night, and he was just as intrigued about it as I was. I don't think I could forgive myself if I told him about Yukiya's curse. If I was Yukiya, I would feel absolutely humiliated...

"Can you blame me? He lied to me..."

"About something that- which you still haven't told me what, wasn't your business in the first place. He had every right to." Knowing he was in the right, I scowled. "Hey, be mad at me all you want! You chose to sit and accompany me in the archive room."

"I feel like you're the only one I can confide with this..."

"I'm your best friend, Kate! How could you not?"

"I'm not so sure about that-" I froze when I heard the door to the archives open.

When I realized it was Elias going through it, I ducked behind a shelf covered with tattered books. I threw my cloak's hood over my head so he wouldn't be able to recognize me.

Please don't come over here, please don't come over here...

Elias approached to where Luca and I was with a distraught look that I noticed until up-close and it made my heart shatter into a thousand pieces. "You look awful, prince Elias!"

"Have you seen Katherine? Please, I need to speak with her..."

A smirk formed at the green haired goon's lips. He looked back at my pleading eyes, then back to him. "Nope. Haven't seen her."

"Luca, don't lie to me. I was told that she was last seen here with you in the archives."

"And do you see her?" He retorted. A wave of guilt hit me hard as Elias left the room with a sulk. "He's gonna snap eventually, y'know?"

"I know..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luca was right about Elias snapping. One minute, professor Schuyler's classroom was quiet and buzzing with the environmental energy of strictly learning, and the next the door to his classroom swung open.

Elias walked in, looking worse than he did the day before. He had visible dark circles underneath his violet eyes, and his cheeks looked flushed as if he ran the whole way here. He didn't seem to care if he interrupted the middle of class or who was in his way. "Mister Goldstein! I am in the middle of teaching a lesson!"

Students groaned at the buzzkill of a professor for trying to stop Elias from whatever he about to say. "I'll only take a moment," He insisted to the professor before looking at me, waiting for an answer. "Why have you been ignoring me?"

"I've been ignoring everybody," I replied, feeling more guilty by the minute, "Except Luca..."

"I can't take it anymore. Did I do something?"

"No. What are you going on about?"

"I don't know, Katherine. I don't know what you want!" Elias yelled with a hint of sadness in his voice.

"What do you want, Elias?"

"You! I want you! Maybe it's you who's on my mind every minute of the day. Maybe you're the reason that I can't think straight whenever you're around. Maybe, Katherine Espinosa, maybe I have feelings for you!"

All eyes were darted towards me waiting for what I was going to say... I swallowed the lump in my throat and spoke up. "Well, maybe, I don't know how to love."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat near the edge of the pond that Yukiya once told me about. It's a small gorgeous pond where he goes to get away, mostly from Luca.

I removed one of my hands that hugged my knees tightly and dipped it in the chilly water. I weaved through the water with my hand, and my magic made the water ripple against my touch. I softly smiled at the fact I was quickly becoming accustomed to hand magic. I was told it could take years to fully control, yet it's only taken me as little as a few days.

I jumped a little when Elias plopped down next to me. "I'll teach you," He spoke looking at the glimmering water and then back at my eyes. "To love."

Before I could open my mouth to say anything, he stopped me. He held his strong hands in my delicate ones and said, "I know. But I will wait for you, as long as it takes." He suddenly stood up, pulling me up on his feet with him. He spun me around wildly like a tornado and caught me before I could dizzily tumble over.

"No, no, no, no. I can't dance to save my life!" I protested and attempted to back away.

"We'll take it slow, then. I'll put my hand here," He explained, holding out his right hand for my left to hold. "And my other hand here." He rested his left hand on my lower waist securely. Naturally, I rested my other hand on his shoulder.

"If I die, this is on you. My life is literally in your hands!" I dramatically stated with a smile.

"Oh, you poor thing." Elias said sarcastically before taking the lead without warning.

This is fun, to just- let go without a care in the world. It felt like being a kid again. No worries, just, pure bliss.

"I'm gonna dip you!"

"Don't you dare!" Despite my protests, he dipped me. My head was almost touching the water, the tips of my long, brown hair was soaked. "If you drop me, I swear I'll-"

"You'll what?"

"Hey, lovebirds-" In surprise, Elias accidentally dropped me. Luca laughed as if it was the funniest thing ever before he snapped a picture.

With a flick of my wrist, I tossed Elias into the water with me and for the fun of it, Luca. I cackled at the boy's reactions. "Revenge really is sweet!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: This update is way overdue! My apologizes! But anyways, how have you been?