Chapter one: First Day In Gedonelune

Gossip spread around me as I walked up to the lengthy staircase, with a new uniform for Gedonelune Royal Magic Academy. If my parents were still alive, they would be so proud of me. Luckily, I inherited their extremely gifted talent for magic. They were professors here for a long time teaching white magic and herbology.

"Go get em' tiger." I encouraged myself. I took in a deep breath and entered the academy that I worked so hard to get into. As I walked down the hallway to my first class, I realized that they all were gossiping about me. Everyone knew who I was: the girl who lost her parents to an epidemic.

I could easily tell from the way they looked at me with such, pity. The same looks I was given for as long as I have lived without my parents. I'm not used to it, but I always try my best to shake it off and not let it bother me.

At least fifteen people were in the spacious classroom so far. I scanned the classroom looking for a spot, and I noticed a seat near a window where a blue-haired boy remained in the corner, absentmindedly staring through the window.

Maybe him, maybe he will be my first friend here. Or my only friend here...

"Hi." I greeted. He stopped his gazing and turned to face me. His uniform tapered at the top and styled messy in fashion, and his thin pink lips remained a frown. His chocolate brown eyes had an eye patch covering his left eye. He looked back at me with a blank expression.

I wonder what happened to him...

"Uh, do you mind if I sit here?" I queried pointing to the seat in front of him. He shook his head in response, so I took the seat. "I'm Katherine." I introduced with my hand held out.

"Yukiya." He murmured shaking my hand for a moment before continuing to stare out the window. I decided to rest my forehead against the wooden desk until class started.

"I'm Elias," I looked up to see a boy with short golden blonde hair, and breathtakingly violet, almost amethyst-like eyes in front of me. "You must be the new girl."

"Is it that obvious?" I questioned with a soft chuckle.

"Really obvious. So, is there anything I can help you with? Any questions so far? I can answer a couple before class starts." He offered, causing a smile to tug at my lips.

"Yeah, that would be great!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"That's it, really. Thanks, again."

"No problem-"

"I got a question for you, miss! Do you have a boyfriend?" A boy with messy green hair, with matching emerald green eyes and a smile that made all the girls swoon shoved his way from Elias to me. "The name's Luca Orlem, pleased to meet ya." He picked up my hand gently and kissed the back of it. Most girls would probably melt away at this moment, but not me. I scoffed and pulled my hand away.

"Clever girl." Elias smirked, trying to bite back his laughter.

"Playing hard-to-get," Luca grinned. "I like it!"

"Why are you even here Luca? It's not like you to be here." The blonde questioned coldly, folding his arms in an annoyed stance.

Even a blind man could see the tension between these two rivals!

"I had to come and see if the rumours are true." He stated, not taking his eyes off me.

"And what must that be?" Elias asked, quickly growing annoyed.

"That a cute girl joined the academy, and it so happens to be true. Catch ya' later, Espinosa!" He replied with a wink and quickly exited the room.

Snapping me out of my trance, Elias claimed, "I don't think I've gotten your name."

"It's Katherine... Katherine Espinosa."

"Elias Goldstein. Nice to meet you." He formally introduced as he shook my hand. The second our hands touched, the school emblem on both of our chests started to shine.

"Wha-" Both of our shining emblems became veils of light that combined to form a glowing bright sphere between us. In an instant, the sphere burst and tiny particles of light rained down. The students in the classroom began to gasp and whisper.

"What the hell was that?" I cursed, being completely oblivious to what was going on.

"You've got to be kidding me..." Elias anxiously rambled to himself, which didn't help unease my confusion. "You can't be serious!"

"Can't be serious about what?"

"I'm a Buddy with, with... You?!"