Chapter twenty-one: Is Yukiya Sick?

My eyes fluttered open and I checked my surroundings; I'm in the tower of sorrow wearing the same dress identical to Nora's, again. The cold air that hit my exposed back caused me to shiver.

At the top of the stairs was a window. No glass, just a wide yet rectangular hole that let the icy air breeze harshly into the isolated room. Looking down through the window, I gulped at how high I was off the ground.

Granted, I was never afraid of heights, but looking down from the highest point of the tower might've triggered a new fear in me. I would hate to be the person who fell off from one of the highest-said towers in the world...

Pushing my anxious thoughts to the back of my mind, I turned back around to return my focus on the room I was in. Just like the tower itself, the entire room was made of stone from the floor up to the ceiling. None of the objects in the room seemed to grab my attention except for one; the mystifying dragon of time.

In my clenched hand was the ruby in the shape of an eye. I noticed that the dragon had only one eye, and the ruby-shaped eye in my hand looked identical to one another. I took long but cautious strides towards the stoned dragon.

Just as I was about to place the eye where it rightfully belongs, a gust of wind blew through the dragon of time. The wind was strong enough to blow me off the floor and out of the window.

"No!" I screamed. The ground became closer and closer to my vision. Every memory I held flashed before my eyes, and I closed my eyes tightly waiting for the impact-

"Gah!" I jumped up from my sleep in a cold sweat. I glanced at the clock that read two-thirteen in the morning. For once, I was relieved I was having only another nightmare...

I took slow deep breaths in and out until my breathing and heart rate was back to normal. Once it was, I slipped out of bed, still shaky from my hellish nightmare. In hopes to calm myself down, I entered the bathroom to throw some cold water on my face.

I turned the handle to the faucet on, flinching when the water switched from hot to cold. I splashed the water on me like one of those girls from a face-wash commercial before turning the faucet back to off. I snatched a dry towel to dab my face dry.

Once I was done with the towel, I tossed it in the pile with the dirty clothes. I internally regretted removing the towel from my face because when I did, I wasn't in my bathroom anymore. Instead, I was falling from the tower all over again. Before I could hit the ground, I was back in my bed...

What's happening to me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

People have either treated or looked at me differently ever since the word had spread that I can preform hand magic. Not that I'm complaining or anything. I'm glad my fellow classmates don't think of me as the devil's spawn anymore.

The Mason sisters stopped messing with me most likely out of fear, and the other students looked at me with admiration or fear, but no in between. I never intended to be superior to the Mason sisters, I just wanted them to leave me alone. Turns out I got my wish. I can now finally try and pass the trial in peace.

My grades started to strangely slip in professor Merkulova's class. I've easily adapted to hand magic so I didn't feel the need to take his odd training lessons. But row by row, he left every one of the student's tests on their desks. I almost fainted when I read my results; thirty-three out of one-hundred points...

Elias is going to kill me! I don't even know if 'killing' is sugar coating what he will do when he finds out! He's going to butcher me alive!

"Hm," The professor clicked his tongue in disapproval. "I thought you of all people would be able to pass this test with flying colours, miss Espinosa. Maybe if you stopped by after class, your grades wouldn't be like this."

The way he whispered into my ear caused my blood to boil. I had a clever idea to use my new abilities to tie his shoe laces together. A smirk formed on my face as I did the devilish deed. He returned the smirk with a smile.

My jaw dropped as I looked back down at his shoes; they were back to how they were before I tampered with them. I was completely puzzled as he continued to drop other students their tests. How did he do that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I pushed what happened with Merkulova to the back of my mind and strolled down the staircase casually to my next class. When I noticed that Yukiya was in front of me, I quickened my pace so I was walking beside him.

"Hey, Yukiya!" He was leaning his body up against the handrail, seeming like he didn't hear me call his name. I stopped him by jumping in front of him. "Yukiya?"

A look of worry spread across my face as I got a good look at him; his skin was very pale with a layer of sweat. He looked as if he was going to pass out any second. Gripping his forearm to help him keep his balance, I asked him, "Yukiya, what's wrong?"

"It's... nothing..." He shakily dismissed. Once we stopped at the bottom of the stairs, I raised my hand to feel his forehead but he stopped me by grabbing my wrist; it was freezing. "Don't... I-I-I'm fine. I'll return to the d-dorm and rest."

Judging by the fact he was stammering his words of reassurance and rocking slowly side to side, he wasn't. "Can I at least help you get th-"

He suddenly collapsed and flung his whole weight on me. If Elias wasn't coincidentally passing by us when he did, Yukiya would've probably took me down with him. Elias lifted Yukiya off of me and wrapped his best friend's arm around his shoulder to give him support. "I'll take him to the dorm. You need to get to class."

"What's wrong with Yukiya? Is he sick?"

"He always gets like this near the full moon. Don't worry, he'll be fine after it passes."

Before I could ask him another question, he took Yukiya with him down the hallway. Some things didn't add up and my gut had a feeling that I should follow them...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I can't believe we hit 11k reads! That's insane to me! Thank you guys so much! I love each and every one of you a lot!