Chapter twenty-two: You Lied To Me

I crept slowly behind them, hiding behind a column every now and then whenever Elias looked behind him. You could tell he was nervous. It's almost like he's paranoid because he's doing something wrong...

He missed every opportunity possible to the dormitory. In fact, he was going the opposite way to the dormitory. I scowled to myself silently at the fact he lied to me. Regardless, I followed him as he took twists and turns into a part of the academy I have never been to.

I didn't even know that this school had tunnels underground, the place I'm in looks like a catacomb; the creepy ones you would see in movies. Everywhere I go, there's a cell five feet apart from each other with a candle in between. The candles mounting the wall were the only thing illuminating the hallway.

Then it struck me, this is the detention chamber. I wondered what Yukiya had done so terrible to be thrown in such an eerie place...

"Elias, I was starting to think you would never show up with him." The headmaster's recognizable deep voice shocked me. A series of questions all beginning with the word 'why' were running through my head.

"I did..." Elias responded before setting Yukiya down on the cot in one of the cells. The two exited the small space, leaving Yukiya, who hasn't moved a muscle since he was set down, alone.

"Remember. No matter what happens, no matter what he says, do not let him out," I watched the headmaster lock the cell. The lock's click echoed off the walls and he placed the ring of many shiny keys in Elias' hand. "It's not him talking."

"Why are you giving me this?" Elias asked, jingling the keys in his hand.

"Because I trust you, Elias, to make the right decision and not give in. See you then." I could tell they were getting closer. I ducked behind a dark random cell until the coast was clear. Once the sound of their chatter and footsteps weren't in range, I stepped out in the open and tip-toed to the cell where Yukiya was in.

His body was sprawled out on the cot like a starfish. I automatically felt awful for him as I saw the exhausted look on his face, his chest rose and fell rhythmically. A scream rippled out of my throat when out of nowhere, Yukiya shot up at incredible speed and dashed towards me.

"Katherine... Help me... You got to get me out of here!" He attempted to grab me by my arms through the bars but he was flown back to the wall with a harsh thud. Though that didn't stop him from getting back up and trying again.

I guess being a chosen Guardian has its perks...

I decided to make the wise choice and make a sprint for it, ignoring his pleas for help. I ran as fast as I could before crashing into a muscular chest. I looked up to see who it was. "H-Headmaster Randolph?"

"I think you deserve an explanation on what's going on..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As we walked outside to the fresh air, he began to explain everything. No detail was left behind. He started with Yukiya's past, and then the contract that changed everything for him... "Keep in mind that this happened at a very young age for him. Maybe that's why he made the decision as rash as he did."

"If I were in his shoes, I would've done the same thing. If that was the price to pay to save my family, I would do it in a heartbeat."

The longer we talked, the more of an understanding and respect I had towards Yukiya. Though I didn't know why the headmaster was trusting me with something so serious in the first place. Yukiya wasn't my Buddy, so I had no business knowing his secret.

Yukiya will always be my friend, regardless if I knew the reason why he always wears an eyepatch. He took a chance on me when no one else did, and I would gladly do the same for him.

We both stopped at the closed door of the classroom I was supposed to be in. With cautious eyes, he spoke up, "Can you see now why I want you to keep quiet about this?"

"Why are you telling me this to begin with?" I blurted out. "You do know what our classmates already think and say about him, right?"

"Since you're going to be the Guardian, I want our relationship to be based on nothing but trust." He explained, flashing me a whole-hearted smile.

I returned the smile with a reassuring one. "Thank you for telling me. His secret is safe with me, headmaster."

"Please, just call me Randolph." With that said, he opened the door for me. He waved to Merkulova, signalling that I was with him. The professor only gives a nod and smile, then proceeds back to whatever topic he was talking about.

I walked through the door with a huff the moment I saw my Buddy. Elias raised his head up from the book he was reading. I sat at the desk in front of him and continued to ignore his questions.

"Where were you?" Elias asked again.

"If you're going to lie to me about where you were, then I'm going to lie about where I was; the bathroom."

"Just give me another chance. Time to explain it to you-" He got interrupted by the loud bell. "Please."

"I already know about Yukiya's past."

"Then you can see why I had to lie to you-"

"Save it. You didn't have to lie about anything, you just chose to," I paused for a second to see what else he would say but he remained silent. He knew he was in the wrong and he just sat there, like a puppy being scolded. With a scoff, I stood up from my seat. "Yukiya's not just your friend, you know."

He seemed like he wanted to say something. He parted his mouth open slightly like he was about to speak, but quickly decided against it and closed his mouth shut. Not wanting to hear any more excuses anyways, I stormed out of the classroom.

I can't stand a liar, no matter how big or small the lie is...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hey, friends! What's your zodiac sign?
(I'm a Sagittarius!)