Chapter twelve: Study Buddies

"Katherine. Wake up," My roommate, Chloe, yelled as she violently shook me out of my slumber, which was the first I have gotten since I've arrived here. "Get up lazy bones!"

I couldn't stop thanking Yukiya for sharing his method with me on how he sleeps through the night; ear muffs. I couldn't believe how simple it was. And it worked, mostly; I can tune out just enough to get some shut-eye. At least it was better than nothing...

Seeing that she wasn't wearing her uniform, I remembered that all classes were cancelled since it's Gedonelune's national founding day. Once I sat up, she moved to her side of the room and packed a few non-school books into her bag.

I like Chloe. Most times, she's very quiet and keeps to herself. But when I talk to her, I know she's listening. Sort of like Yukiya in a strange way. She's like a sister to me that I've never had before. Even though I've only been here for a short time, I feel like I can tell her anything. She is the one who I vent to about my problems. Whether it's about Elias, Luca, or both...

"How are you going to spend the day?"

"I'm going shopping in town, I heard the ice cream parlour released four new flavours! You can tag along if you want to." She excitedly invited, knowing I would kill for anything sweet before closing her book-bag shut.

Chloe was so focused on getting ready, she didn't notice I snatched the persona mirror from the drawer in my nightstand and discreetly slipped it in my bag. "Tempting offer, but I already promised Elias that I would spend the afternoon studying with him."

"The entire afternoon just studying?" She asked, obviously not buying it. She took a stride towards the door and turned back to me with a grin plastered onto her face. "Have fun with your Buddy who's more than a buddy."

"Shut up!" I protested. I grabbed the first pillow in sight and attempted to throw it at her but she swiftly exited the room. I scowled as I watched the pillow hit the door where my roommate should've been.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It didn't take long before I was out of the dormitory. I was surprised to see Luca standing outside like he was expecting someone. When he saw me, he came up to me with a devilish grin. I sighed in defeat as he walked side-by-side with me.

This isn't how I was expecting to spend my day off...

"What's up, buttercup?" He casually asked, draping an arm around my shoulder.

"The sky." I sarcastically replied while politely removing his arm off of me.

"No small talk today?" He inquired. I remained wordless. "Ouch, okay... I'll just get to the point then. Did you get it?"

For proof, I fished it out and showed it to him. Even though it was wrapped up in the rose cloth, it was still recognizable. Yukiya, following us along to our scenic route to the academy asked, "Is that the persona mirror?"

"Yes, it is," The green haired goon snickered. "Well done!"

"What'd he tell you?" Yukiya demanded, causing us all to stop in our tracks. I was surprised to see Yukiya irritated at all, but it's understandable with Luca. He's just, Luca.

"What do you mean?"

"He told you something to convince you to sneak out and steal it," I look at Luca for an answer but all he does is glare wickedly at Yukiya. "What did he tell you?"

"He said that if I got it for him, that Elias would tell me how he truly felt about me."

Yukiya looked fed up as he got in Luca's face and vented. "You're selfish, you know that, Luca? Filling her head with lies for your own selfish reasons. I'm disappointed in you."

"'I'm disappointed in you.'" He mocked with a cackle as he watched Yukiya angrily storm off.

"What did he mean by 'filling my head with lies'?"

"I'm not. I did you a favour by making you take that mirror. You may not think that way right now, but your future kids will thank me for this." Before I could do or say or do anything to him for his comment, Luca took off after Yukiya...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sauntering alone to the courtyard, I found Elias isolated on one of the cement benches eating his lunch. As I took the seat next to him, I greeted, "Hey."

"Hello."

"Gorgeous weather, huh?"

"Yeah, especially when there's not a sea of people around." He added, making me nod my head in agreement.

"Ready?" I asked, pulling out the grimoire from my bag. I took occasional bites from my sandwich as he helped me brush up on the lessons we've previously learned. He continued to ask me questions, but I couldn't think of anything but the crumbs of bread on the corners of Elias' lips. I kindly interrupted him. "You have a little something on your..."

He wiped his cheek, completely missing the crumbs. "Did I get it?"

"No. Here, let me." I used my thumb to brush the crumbs away. He shivered at my touch causing me to blush and retract my hand back. "Sorry."

"I-It's fine." Elias muttered out. When he noticed the uneasy expression on my face, he continued. "Is there something still on me, or is there something you want to talk about?"

"I have to show you something." I confessed. He raised an eyebrow and patiently waited for me to go on. I pulled out the persona mirror from my bag and revealed it to him.

"What? Impossible. How'd did you get it? Don't tell me you stole it! The headmaster's room should always be locked with magic, and the chest would be sealed with a complex spell-" Elias would've continued rambling if I hadn't stopped him when I did.

"Nope. The door was unlocked, and the chest."

"That can't be!" Elias fumed, jolting up from his seat, pacing back and forth while I remained in my seat.

"This woman appeared out of nowhere and handed me it, with a condition of course," I reported. His arms folded, and his eyes demanded me to go on. "She wanted me to answer her riddles. She might be the ghost of the headmaster's office that the rumours go on about, but I don't think she's a ghost."

"What do you think she is, then?"

"I have no clue. The whole ordeal was very odd; she called me the 'chosen one.'"

"Chosen? For what?"

"The mirror, maybe? No clue."

"Is it the real thing, that mirror?"

"Why don't you find out?" I answered, slipping off the cloth and handed the mirror to him face-down. "Go for it."

He stared at the mirror silently. He took in a shaky breath and slowly flipped it over. "I'm scared. What should I do? Will I live in fear of what people think of me? The pressure was challenging, but now she's in my life, the pressure is about to crush me."

Elias looked at me with a pale expression as soon as the mirror mentioned a girl. He looked at me and the paralysed expression on my face for a short moment, then back to the chattering mirror. "In order to not shame the name of Goldstein, I'll have to act brave and keep up my appearance. Look at Luca; compared to me, he's an amazing wizard! He's much more talented and powerful than me. She'll definitely choose him. How can she not? He has it all! I envy him, and I don't want to lose..."

He was speechless as much as I was for what the mirror had said. "No! That's not me! I'm not that weak, this is wrong. I-It's... I'm telling you it's not!"

I always thought to myself that Elias is nothing but cold, but he really is just like everyone else. Worrying, suffering, competing for a title. Maybe we're more alike than I thought...