Because of Your Arrogance

Their family's wealth gave them a lot of privileges in life. They always had a very luxurious home to live in, expensive things, a high social status. It was almost everyone's dream. But Sue's favorite privilege, which he appreciated a lot, was being able to attend parties in the palace that housed the royal German family. Other royals were often invited to these gatherings. No peasants were to be seen, as if they'd be in eyesore in any corner they pressed themselves into. Rich folk crowded around chess tables as professionals or amateurs competed against each other, locked in a game of wits.

    This gave Sue a chance to show off his skills in chess, awing everyone as he won game after game against experts, just being a teenager. He especially liked how it made his family proud, and how his father would lighten up for once and smile at his son. Dorothy and Maria would cheer from the sidelines when he won, their voices mixed with applause, as Georg boasted to other fathers. It made him feel giddy on the inside, but on the outside, he just looked content and at peace. On the other hand, his opponent appeared stressed as the grown man ran his hand through his hair and sweated. Sue felt bad for him, hoping he wasn't embarrassed, but at the same time felt pride in knowing he could make someone react that way to a simple board game.

        Dorothy would blush slightly whenever Sue won and he flashed that handsome grin at everyone. She just wanted to run over to him, jump into his arms, and kiss him. But of course, she couldn't do that. Their special relationship was a secret, kept between them and the maid he bribed. She did loathe how the maid gave them glances of disgust whenever they were simply together, not even being intimate. But that didn't matter, she was just very glad the boy she loved and called her brother was so smart and quite the looker for his age, too. Oh how she'd parade him around if he wasn't related, telling anyone who'd listen that he was her boyfriend. It made her sad she couldn't.

       But Dorothy wasn't the only girl who had eyes for Sue, the German princess was practically drooling over the boy as she sat on the edge of her throne next to her mother. Her skin was slightly paler than Dorothy's, and her hair was green like healthy summer grass. Her royal gown was black and white, but with a golden trim that matched her crown. Her crimson eyes studied him from his shaggy black locks that drooped over his dark eyes to the small smile that rested on his face. Her cheeks warmed and her heart pounded so hard she could feel ber pulses drumming in her fingertips as she clutched her throne's armrests. 

       "Mom, that boy, what's his name again?" Emerald asked, her gaze still focused on him as she bounced in her seat. The thought of him courting her sent electric waves of excitement rolling throughout her entire body. He looked just her age and better than any prince she's ever seen!

        "I believe it's 'Sue.'" The queen, Helena, an older Emerald by comparison, hummed, thoughtful for a moment before confirming her answer with a nod. "Yes, it's Sue. That's his family over there, they reside on our land." She nodded at Maria, Georg, and Dorothy, all three smiling. The woman then raised an eyebrow at her daughter, a knowing look on her face. "Why the sudden interest? You looked so bored at first."  

        Emerald grinned back at her, showing pearly white teeth. Her eyes sparkled like the rubies embedding her crown. "I've seen him plenty of other times before, playing chess, and I think I find him quite attractive, mother." She turned to look at the boy again, her face reddening, as she bit her lip and brushed a lock of her hair behind her ear. She tapped her fingernails on the throne armrests, deciding she couldn't stifle her attraction any longer. "I want him." She said with such urgency you'd think it was a matter of life and death. "Do I have to marry a prince? I want to marry him, mother." She shot a glare at the queen, daring her mother to refuse her. 

          "Anything for you, darling." Helena agreed softly, reaching over to caress her heart-shaped face. "You're so beautiful, I doubt he'd turn down a beauty like you." She was, in fact, stunning. Her skin was pristine as a newly painted porcelain doll, her eyes were lovely and vibrant, her lips pink but thin like fine strands of pulled taffy. Not exactly full, but hardly a problem. Her nose was slender and seemed to end in the size of a small marble, almost unnaturally button-like, and her eyelashes were so thick in a perfect silky curtain you'd think she combed them every morning.