Beautiful Like A Rose

“Thank you again for the rose.” Dorothy said shyly, her small hands, clad in white mittens, gently holding the dark green stem of the beautiful crimson rose given to her. There were no thorns to prick her fingers, and the thought of the boy carefully plucking them off so she wouldn't come to the slightest harm made her blush even harder, if that was even possible. Her and her best friend were standing in the middle of her large, luxurious bedroom, alone with the only source of illumination inside being the softly-glowing lamp and streams of silvery, pale moonlight from the window. Just them, alone, and for some reason she wasn't afraid of her parents walking in and telling her how improper it was.

“My pleasure.” Sue slowly bowed like the gentleman he was, before raising his head and giving her a handsome grin. His black hair fell into his purple eyes, which was practically another source of illumination with their mysterious, lovely glow. His milk-white skin seemed to shine a brighter, gleaming ivory in the luminescence. She instantly felt her heart flutter inside her chest, as if to prove this she placed a hand over where it was pounding against her ribcage.

“Roses are my favorite,” Dorothy gushed, smiling prettily and admiring how the moonlight graced the edges of its velvety petals. “To me, they’re the most beautiful of flowers out there.” She truly thought so, no matter how many eye-catching, colorful and unique blossoms there were around the world, she would always favor roses over them all.

“I think you're the most beautiful of flowers out there.” Sue whispered, stepping closer to her so that they were inches apart. He softly took her hand in his, as if it were fragile and could break with the smallest bit of force. He brought it to his pale lips and kissed it, the touch as light as a feather and his eyes never leaving her own widened, orange pair.

“Thank you.” If the two weren't so close, the young boy wouldn't be able to hear Dorothy's quiet murmur. She looked mesmerized, as if meeting his gaze had locked her into a deep trance. She was a deer in violet headlights.

“Dorothy,” she felt a shiver run down her back just by him saying her name, “I have one last gift to give you tonight.” Sue smiled, wrapping an arm around her lower back and pulling them together. Their noses brushed and their breaths ghosted across each other's skin. She felt strange, it was as if sparks of something foreign were setting her veins alight inside her body while more blood rushed to her face so that her cheeks looked as red as the rose.  

“What- what would that be?” Dorothy faltered, her heart beating so loud she could almost hear it. He gave her her answer when he tilted his head slightly to the side, and kissed her, their lips seeming to fit together like two puzzle pieces. His fingertip holding up her chin. Her eyes fluttered closed as she kissed back, throwing her arms around his neck and nearly doubling him over. To Dorothy, the entire world around them seemed to disappear, and it was just them as the moment dragged on for what felt like a lifetime, one she would happily live over again and again. It felt like the sparks, cliche as she knew it sounded, burst into fireworks inside her. She never wanted it to end.

And then she woke up, eyes snapping open and staring into nothing but darkness. Her curtains were pulled together over the window, so hardly any moonshine or starlight drifted inside. Sweat was drying on her skin, and she realized she had been smiling as her lips flattened into a thin line. She blushed, for real this time, but out of sheer embarrassment caused by her silly, inappropriate dream. It was wrong to have a crush on her only friend, she knew he wouldn't like her back so she ignored it as best as she could, fearing if he knew he would abandon her. She flipped over onto her other side, glancing at where the rose should be in its vase sitting on her desk, unseen due to the gloom obscuring it. It truly was beautiful.

Perhaps tomorrow her and Sue could play Hide and Seek, and she'd win something else.

A/N: Fooled ya, didn't I? Heh. And yes, I know this chapter was shorter than the norm, sorry! Also, I'm not good at romance-y kissy-face BS, so I apologize if it seems too cheesy or poor in quality.