Chapter 40: Library

Carter

"Carter, are you okay you're kinda out of it." Elinn's words jolted me from my thoughts. We were going to the library and she must have been talking while I wasn't paying attention.

"I'm just overwhelmed with all the stuff surrounding your parents' visit. Do you know how hard it is trying to find spare rooms for a hundred people?" It was a lie, but a good one so hopefully she wouldn't question it too much.

"Oddly enough you knew of their existence so your a few steps ahead of me at least. If anyone should be off in their own thoughts it should be me," Elinn pointed out. I hated it when she was logical.

"I'll keep that in mind next time my thoughts cause me to forget what's going on around me." I said sarcastically and stopped in front of the library doors. I pushed them open and walked into the enormous room. The walls were twenty feet high and full of books. There were various sized shelves scattered throughout the room all of them filled with different types of books.

"This is all....yours?" Elinn's face was lite with wonder and excitement as she surveyed the room. I smiled at how happy she seemed right now and let myself relax a little bit.

"Technically it is all mine, but the librarians forget that sometimes. I may or may not be a little bit of a troublemaker in their eyes." I admitted running a hand along the back of my neck.

"A troublemaker? You knocked over four rows of books! It took the whole staff to get it all sorted out. Then sometimes you just walk out without letting us know you're taking a book and we don't know where it is. We have to order new ones all the time because you decide you like them too much and want to keep them!" The voice of the head librarian barked out from where she sat behind a nearby desk.

"Come on Ruthan you know that I'm your favorite person who comes in here! And it was one time and I did technically help you clean up all the books." I objected as started to walk away from the desk.

"Oh and Ruthan, you should keep your voice down this is a library after all." I made my voice as serious as I could possibly make it, which wasn't a lot considering the circumstances.

Elinn giggled from beside me, the complete opposite of the person she had been five minutes ago. I wasn't entirely sure what was going on with her wolf, but that's what libraries are for after all. It was convenient that she had still wanted to come here, I just hoped I could figure this all out.

"Carter, which way would I go if I wanted to find some fiction books?" Elinn wondered as she gazed around the spacious room.

"Well, I'll tell you if you do me a favor," I said deciding I could twist this to my advantage.

"What exactly would this favor be? If it has anything to do with scrubbing toilets I am out!" Elinn said smiling at me. I laughed and gave her a quick peck on the lips.

"No nothing like that at all, I just want you to do one little thing. I want you to let your wolf come forward so that I can see what color your eyes glow. I can't remember and it's driving my wolf and me crazy." A truth and a lie, but I didn't want her freaking out over this, it might be nothing and I was overreacting. She looked at me quizzically but did what I asked anyway.

As she did I noticed that she was able to hold control. Before she couldn't even remember the experience how was it that now she was fine and had no struggle containing the beast?

That's when I noticed her eyes, and I froze. When I had been talking with her wolf a few minutes ago her eyes had been a golden color. Now they were white, as pale as snow no mistaking it. Her wolf had two separate eye colors, something I had never heard of before.