Chapter 37: Meeting the Parents

Elinn

I stared at the ceiling of my bedroom and tried to calm myself down. I was going to be fine, today wasn't going to be terrible. I wasn't going to cry and I wasn't going to make a fool of myself. Who was I kidding I had no idea how today was actually going to go.

It had been four days since I had met my brothers and all the craziness that surrounded them. They had both apologized for what they had said to me after my panic attack and I had forgiven them. I knew that they didn't understand what was going on right now, neither did I. I was still struggling to believe I was really free half of the time.

Luke had also set me on bed rest for the next week because I wasn't 'progressing' as much as he would have liked. It was kinda my fault considering I had been running around in the woods a lot lately. When Luke heard of my adventure he had made sure to give me a long lecture about how I shouldn't be using my broken leg and I could have gotten an infection in my feet from walking around without shoes.

"Elinn, are you okay?" I startled as I noticed Zelya, Carter's Mom standing there.

"I'm sorry I didn't see you there I should have been paying more attention. I'm so stupid sometimes." I rambled as I looked down at my bedspread. I felt nervous around Carter's Mom, I didn't want her to think I was a fool and make me leave. Not when Carter and I were finally beginning to be able to open up to each other.

"Honey, you aren't stupid and you know it. I was just coming to see how you were doing, I know how crazy today is going to be. I can't imagine what it would be like to be meeting your parents for the first time you can remember," I knew what she was going to say next everyone had been saying it to me since we learned they were coming to see me.

Everyone I saw asked me how excited I was to finally meet my parents. But a feeling of joy wasn't something I felt at the moment. I was terrified of what was about to happen and I didn't know how to deal with all of this pressure that had so suddenly been placed on me.

"You must be so scared. These people who you don't know are coming to see you because you are their daughter. Only you can't remember them and all they can do is remember what you were like. They have no idea what you've been through and they don't know who you are. But don't worry Carter and I will be with you the whole time so there is really nothing to worry about." I stared at Zelya in wonder. How had she possibly known what I was thinking?
"It's a Mom thing," Carter's voice startled me. I noticed that he was standing in the doorway. How long had he been there?

"What are you talking about sweetheart?" Zelya asked turning to her son and smiling. I was glad they had made up I wasn't sure I would have been able to handle it if they were at odds with each other because of me.

"Elinn was wondering how you knew what she was thinking. She's very to read, plus the look of astonishment really said it all." Carter gave me one of his heartwarming smiles and I smiled back.

"I know you're nervous about today, you have every right to be. And I know this is going to be a lot for you, a lot of people from your parent's pack are coming to see you. They are all going to want to talk to you and know where you have been for the past twelve years." Terror filled my eyes and Carter rushed to my side.

"I can't talk to strangers, especially guys. What if I do something wrong and they all hate me. Then they'll punish me and make me go back with them. I'll be forced to work all day again and get beaten up. I'll," My ramblings were cut off when Carter's lips gently brushed against mine. With his mouth pressed to mine, I was finally able to calm down a little bit.

"You won't have to talk to anyone you don't want to talk to, I will make sure they understand you don't like big crowds. I won't give them any details as to why just that you aren't a fan. Plus the warriors and I will be there the whole time, we aren't gonna let anyone hurt you. You are going to be there Luna and they would do anything for you." I rested my head against Carter's shoulder and took a deep breath.

"What am I going to say when they ask where I've been for the past twelve years? It's not like they won't find out, someone is bound to slip and say something eventually. They are going to think I'm worthless once they find out!" I pour out my fears to Carter knowing that he is a safe person to turn to with my concerns.

"We will avoid the topic for as long as we can. After a few days, you and Carter will sit down and explain things to them. You don't need to go into detail, but I would suggest you show them at least some of your scars so they can understand the magnitude of the situation." This idea came from Zelya and it sounded pretty good to me.

"That sounds like a great idea Mom, see Elinn we are here for you to help you with anything. We don't care if it's something big or small we're here for you." Carter reassured me pressing a kiss to my neck.

"You really think they are going to like me?" I asked them both searching their eyes for the truth. Smiles lit their faces and I knew the answer before they said a thing.

"Of course they will they would be idiots if they didn't" Zelya snorted and we all laughed. I realized that I felt at home with these people and no matter what my parents thought I had one family right here.

The sound of the doorbell resounded through the pack house and I went rigid. That meant that my parents were here and I was going to meet them. Suddenly things had just become a lot more real. I look up worriedly at Carter and he took my hand and squeezed it tightly. Pulling me to my feet he leads me towards the stairs where I could hear voices filling the hall.

"Are you sure it's her?" Asked a low voice. It sounded strangely familiar like a memory just out of my reach. I guess the man talking had to be someone from my old pack.

"It's really her, but she's different than she was when she was younger. You need to be ready for that, we weren't and it took us by surprise." I recognized Xander's voice and it struck me that he must be talking to my father.

"Of course she's not the same, she was eight when she left. She'll be a grown woman now and look totally different." A woman's voice joined the conversation, presumably my mother. Carter and I descended and stairs and rounded the corner where we could finally see who was talking.

There had to be over a hundred people standing in the grand foyer. They all had to have come to see me, this was definitely going to be too much for me. I held onto Carter's hand as tightly as I could and did my best to hide behind him. Suddenly there was a mass of movement and people were moving towards me.

I shrieked and stumbled backward trying to get away from the chaos of the throng. More people came forward trying to see what was wrong. I got a flash of deja vu from when I had met my brothers for the first time. Then to my surprise, before Carter could say anything my brothers were pushing people back.

"Don't crowd her! You are all to go find your room and get settled. If you would like to meet the princess we can discuss that at a later date. For now, she needs time alone with her family." There were murmurs from the crowd, but soon everyone but one man and woman were gone.

I was still cowering behind Carter as they slowly came forward. I could see tears running down both of their cheeks. I wasn't sure who they were and they scared me.

"We've missed you so much," The woman sobbed. The man held her tightly against his chest and stared at me with sadness and hope in his eyes.

"Who are you?" I asked and both of the strangers in front of me burst into tears.

AN: Sorry this was published so late. I was out with my sister at an event and couldn't publish sooner. Anyways we hit SIXTY THOUSAND VIEWS!!!! We are also at over THREE THOUSAND VOTES!!! I am so proud of all you guys do for this story. Let me know what you guys thought of the chapter and I'll do my best to respond. Until next time, bye bye!