Chapter 27: Friends

Carter

I smiled down at the girl in my arms. I hadn't seen her in years and was so glad to see her again. I missed her every day she had been gone and hoped that she was finally done traveling and might stay here.

"I'm so happy to see you, Madeline! How did you get here and why didn't you tell me you were coming?" I asked pushing her away from me.

"I got back from Paris yesterday and decided I should come and visit my favorite guy. Paris was amazing it was beautiful! Also I sorta just got lipstick all over your face," She giggled as she tried to wipe some of it off.

"Well, thanks for that! You know that stuff is really hard to get off and yet you still decided to kiss me. How rude of you to only think of yourself," I used one hand to steady her as I lifted the other to scrub the color from my cheeks.

"We told Madeline to stay upstairs while you were visiting so we could all get the chance to talk about," My mom tried to explain, but I cut her off.

"Why would you keep her cooped up there? I haven't seen her in two years we have a lot of catching up to do. Besides, why didn't you immediately tell me when she got here? Mom, you should know better," My teasing mood apparently wasn't appreciated by the rest of the family.

"Carter, I don't think now is the appropriate time to," Mom started again and I sighed loudly.

"Can't a guy have a little peace and quiet to spend time with his favorite girl. Seriously Mom, what could be more important? " I couldn't think of one thing that at this moment was more important. Madeline was here with me and that was all that mattered.

"I think you are forgetting about something very important Carter. The whole reason you came," I had enough of all the interrupting.

"Enough! All of you go find something to do. Don't bother me until I call for you." I ordered. None of them looked pleased with my command. It wasn't like them to distract me so much, what was going on with them? I at the moment I didn't care, I just wanted them to leave so I could talk to Maddie.

"What is up with everyone today? They all seemed really anxious about something before you came over. When I asked Nate about it he just told me it was none of my business. Your brother has always been so mean to me," Maddie whined dragging me towards a couch. We sat down and she began telling me about Paris and I reflected on how we had come to this point.

I had met Madeline (or Maddie for short) in my sophomore year of high school. I had been walking down the hall and someone had ran into my shoulder.When I looked around to see who it was there was a beautiful girl lying on the floor. I had been shocked and immediately helped her up and she smiled at me.

"Hi, my name is Madeline. Sorry about running into you I wasn't watching where I was going." The girl extended her hand to me and I shook it.

"Well, I'm Carter and it's great to meet you. Would you like me to point you in the direction of your next class you seem pretty new here," I offered her gesturing towards her schedule.

"That's really nice of you, are you sure it isn't an inconvenience? I wouldn't want to get you in trouble or anything like that." Madeline said quietly brushing a strand of hair out of her face.

"No, it's no trouble at all really. I have math next period and I don't mind being late, the teacher loves me so it should be fine. Now let me see your schedule."

From that moment on we were great friends. Madeline was in most of my classes and sat next to me in almost all of them. We would hang out most days and she had sleepovers at my house all the time. She had become one of my best friends and was always there for me when I needed her.

Everyone assumed that when we turned sixteen we would be mates. I didn't really ever seriously considering if they were right or not. I always knew that we weren't going to be mates, but Maddie latched onto the idea. So when I turned sixteen and she wasn't the one she was very upset. She had cried in my arms for hours after that as I held her and promised her that she would find her mate someday.

"Carter, are you listening to a word I'm saying?" Maddie asked waving her hand in front of my face. I tried to remember what we had been talking. I had absolutely no idea what Maddie had been rambling on about.

"Well, we were talking about your lovely trip to Paris. You were just telling me how much fun you were having, and I was attentively listening to what you were talking about." It was obvious that I had not been paying attention.

"Come on Carter I haven't seen you in a long time. Besides, it's not like you have anything else that could possibly distract you. You never do anything so you couldn't have that many stories." Maddie taunts me.

"Actually these last couple days have been pretty crazy since I met..." It was then that I realized I hadn't seen Elinn in a long time. I hadn't seen her since I had seen Maddie actually. I glanced at a clock and realized that was two hours ago.

I bolted out of my seat and ran outside to find my family. They were all sitting around the picnic table staring at something on the table. I was worried when I reached them and saw a map on it.

"Hey, have you seen Elinn? I don't know where she went after I saw Maddie," I asked them hoping that they would have an answer. My mother's eyes met mine and her's were full of tears.

"We haven't seen her since she walked out the door after seeing Madeline climbing all over you as I recall," Nate spat the words at me as he marked off different areas of the map.

"No one's seen her in two hours. We don't know where she is." My heart stopped and I didn't know what to do.

AN: Thank you all so much! I am glad to have you all reading and thank you all for 17000 views! Thanks for the support. My laptop is being fixed again so things may be spotty. Let me know what you guys are thinking, I love hearing from you. Until next time, bye bye!