Chapter 1

I have finally reached this point in life. The point of where I'm standing in a dorm room, holding the heaviest box in the world, and my mom standing behind me, emotional as hell, and helping me move in. I legit don't know what's wrong with her, I mean, like, campus is only about 45 minutes away from home. I guess it's because I'm the only thing she's got, other than her annoying ass husband, Adam.

      I mean like that dude was always staring at me, and it's just straight up creepy. It's been 5 years that he has moved in with me and my mom. He's the only man, other than my father, that has been in my life.

I never had a boyfriend before, due to the over protective mother that I have. Even her name sounds demanding, Debra Holly Smith-Gordon. Good thing she named me Emery Grace Smith, it's less intimidating.

But anyways, yeah I am starting college today-and I couldn't be more nervous. And my mom and her emotional hormones isn't helping one bit.

I actually thought that college would be some big getaway from the real world, a never ending party. But now that I see all of these historic buildings and professors in their pressed suits and shit, it's kinda different than what I imagined.

      The dorm room is ok I guess, twin beds, two identical shelves, tan carpet, I guess it's the typical college dorm package.

This is the last box and I'm ready to just lay down and take a damn nap, but I just gotta go see everything at this campus. Even though I know most of it from how I used to go to football games with my dad before he died, I want to experience it as a new student, not a visitor. I mean, I might as well get used to it. I'm gonna be here for a little while, so I may as well start calling it "home".

      My roommate hasn't got here yet I assume from the other side of the room, which is empty and vacant. Nothing but a sheet-less twin bed and an empty shelve rest on that side of the room.

I am happy that there isn't anyone else here for now, it just gives me the advantage of picturing what I want my side of the room to look like and the type of decorations I could use since her stuff isn't in the way.

    "Ok mom, I think that's it. I'm ready to go out on the campus now." I sigh. She looks at me as if she has seen a dying puppy and then wraps her long arms around me.

"I'm going to miss you babygirl. You're growing up so fast!" She says. She begins to sniff and pout and I'm just beyond tired of it, even though it breaks my heart to see her sad like this. I've never seen her this sad since that day. That day...

      "Mom it's ok. I'm still gonna come see you and I'll call you whenever I can. Don't worry about me." I say, hoping that this will soften her poor soul. "Okay sweetie, let me go get Adam. He wants to say goodbye, he's really gonna miss you." She says as a small smile spreads across her face. "Um, okay I'll just be..." All of a sudden my door busts open.

"Omg she's already here! Thank goodness I didn't have to wait here all alone." The
young woman has long brown hair, almost red, and a pointed chin. Her cheekbones are high and full, and her smile the more warm. Her blue eyes then meet mine and she squeals. She then scurries across the room and hugs me. Okay, touchy much?

  "My name is Samantha, but people call me Sam. Lemme guess, yours is Emery?"

How in the hell did she know my name? I guess she picked up on my surprised expression and speaks. "Just teasing, I didn't stalk you or anything. I just read the cover of your binder." She burst into laughter. I laugh along with this goofy ass girl. I'm gonna like her.

"Anyways, I was gonna go check out campus after I get my things inside. You wanna come with me?" She asks politely while smiling at my mother and introducing themselves to each other. "Yeah, sure." I bleakly say.  "Great, then I will go ahead and go get my things into the room and we can go. Nice meeting you Mrs. Gordon!" She shouts from outside the door. "You too!" My mom shouts back.

"Your going to have a wonderful year with her I can tell, she's very nice." My mom says to me. I nod my head in agreement.

     Mom calls Adam into the room on her phone and about 5 minutes later there's a knock on the door.

Bruh, just walk in she already called you.

He steps inside with a smile as wide as a windshield and hurries to hug me. "Oh I knew this day would come but it came too quick. I remember when I first met you, 13 years old and so ready for college. And now look at you, You're here!" Dude, stop being so loud...

"Yeah it surprised me too." I say shortly after he lets me go of his embrace. They say their goodbyes and then finally leave after my mom has a sobbing fit.

Just as they leave, Sam and a young man with obviously bleached blonde hair and a masculine figure step inside the room.

    "Emery, this is my brother Jackson. Jackson, Emery. Emery, Jackson." He then steps across the room after staring at me and raking his eyes over my ripped jeans and tight tank top. He shakes my hand and offers an award winning smile similar to his sister's.

"Hey, you're kinda hot."  He says to me. Well dang what a way to say things just 30 seconds after meeting them.

"Um, thanks?" I say.

Sam then laughs and apologizes for her brother. "I'm sorry, he's the outgoing twin out of us two. That's probably how he got into fraternity."

Twins? Hold up.

"You guys are twins? No wonder y'all look so much alike." I say. We both break out into laughter while Jackson continued to stare at me. Well ok, he's kinda cute I guess. This is probably going to be a good year after all.