Chapter Twenty Seven

Kuroko's POV

Everything stopped for a while. In that moment, all that mattered was Miyuki who was about to plummet to her doom.

"MIYUKI!!" I yelled. There she stood. The ground beneath her was crumbling. I wasn't fast enough to catch her before she fell.

So I went down with her.

"MIYUKI!!" I yelled once more. I saw her falling: her hair was everywhere; her body looked limp; her eyes were closed.

She was unconscious. I dove myself down and wrapped my arms around her tight. Below us was nothing but water.

For one moment, I was clutching Miyuki tight. For the next, I was underwater; my hands were still around Miyuki. I rose up along with her. It was dark and I was still recovering from the fall but Miyuki was still unconscious. I swam to a nearby shore. Waiting there were Kagami and the other. An ambulance could be heard not too far from the place.

"Kuroko!" Kagami yelled. I pulled Miyuki to shore and laid her on her back. She looked pale.

"Move aside!" some people said. I didn't notice that the ambulance had already arrived.

"What's going on here?"

"She fell off the cliff and she was unconscious when I went after her..."

"Can you feel a pulse?" one nurse said to the other.

"It's slow."

"Is she breathing?"

"Affirmative, but it's very faint."

"Her heart rate is dropping!"

"We're losing her!"

"THEN GET HER BACK!" Kagami raged but we held him back. I couldn't be of much help since my hands were trembling just seeing Miyuki in such pain.

"Please make sure she's alright," I said with a shaky voice.

"Paddle!"

"Set it on high!"

"How high?"

"High enough to get her heart beating again!"

"Stand back!"

"Clear!"

Miyuki's body rose. The people kept on tampering the devices they brought.

"Wait!"

"I can feel a pulse!"

"She's back!"

"Get her on the stretcher!"

She was breathing but she still looked pale. They placed her on a stretcher and brought her to the ambulance. Kagami and I tagged along.

"K-Kuroko..." she muttered. The strain in her voice pained my heart.

"I'm right here," I said, grasping her hand. I never let go.

We got to the hospital and Miyuki was brought to some room. Kagami and I were waiting by the lobby.

"She'll be fine," Kagami said, trying to reassure me. "She's strong."

"That doesn't change the fact that I'm the reason she's in there."

"Her father is the reason she's in there. Whether you broke up with her or not isn't the reason we're in this situation."

"But how could I forgive myself for putting her in harm?" I sighed, placing my head in my hands.

"You'll just have to find a way."

Suddenly, a man in a white coat approached us. He had glasses on and a stethoscope around his neck.