Chapter 6: I see.

Elaine's POV

I sometimes wonder if I will ever be normal. If I will ever grow out of this impending doom, the doom where I can't see anything. Imagine it. Right now.

Close your eyes.

And tell me... what do you see? Images in the back of your mind, memories, people. Now, do the same thing... just erase everything you know. You have never seen the color green. Never in your life have you seen a tree, or the ocean, or your parents. Nothing. Your eyes are broken, nothing. You can see nothing. I have never seen anything. I have heard, touched, tasted, and smelled, but that's it. That's all I have of this world. But I have one to tiny glimpse of that world when I sleep. When i see the old man, and the boy. But that's the only piece I have. I'm just happy I was fortunate enough to have it.

There are people in the world, who take things for granted. Such as rich people. They take family, love, and money for granted when they buy happiness. Or people who can hear, they take all the sweet sounds, loud, quiet, or annoying, for granted. Or the people who can smell, they take all the smells of the world for granted.... good and bad. Or people that can see.

They take the world for granted.

I peel open my eyes. As I feel around the bed, I notice I am not in the same room. The bed I was in before felt rough, this bed felt like feathers. I sat up and scratched my head.

"Hello?" I whispered. God my voice sounded so raspy.

I heard shuffling in the left corner of the room. Then slow steady footsteps. I crawled back against the headboard, afraid of what was to come.

"Calm down baby." That voice... the man.

"No! Stay away from me!" I screeched. Out of nowhere I felt a hand hit my cheek. The sting was unbearable, and I cupped my cheek.

"Don't you ever tell me to stay away from what is mine." The voice growled. I was getting angry now.

"I'm. Not. Yours." I spat through gritted teeth. I could hear his low growl, but I could care less.

My head hurt, I was lost, I was with some crazy person, I couldn't find my dog, and last but never fucking least...

I COULDN'T SEE!

"I think it's time you... learned about why you're here." The voice told me. Suddenly I felt his hand on my forehead, I had no idea what he was doing until I felt the pain. A sharp, sharp pain in my head. Then... a blurry picture was all I could see.

See.

I was inside a cottage. Apparently a kitchen. It was small, and beat down. In the middle of the kitchen was a wooden table, on the table was bread, a basket of berries, and tea. It looked like something from the hobbit. On the left of where I was standing was a window, under it was the sink. There was a small little pantry next the the counter. On my right was a China set. Fancy, China set.

I was pulled from my inspections, when a woman walked in. She looked flustered, worried, angry, and above all...

Scared.

"Excuse me?" I asked politely. She just ignored me. How rude. Then it occurs to me that she might not have heard me. Maybe this is another dream?

"What am I going to do?" She asked no one in particular.

She grabbed a suitcase, and started shoving random things in. Food, clothes, money. Then she grabbed a book. Not just any book, but the best book of all time... Well one of them.

'Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet.' I remember my mother reading it to me, and I also remember how much I wanted to read it myself.

And then I realised something.