The Decision - Liron

Start from the beginning

As much as I prayed for everyone to forget about the practice, they all turned up and last but not least Scabiour swaggered into the hall, shooing away a couple of friends before raising an eyebrow at us all.       

I internally shook my head. He's so damn cocky!       

My thoughts were interrupted as Professor Flitwick squeaked, "Ok, let's try the first song, shall we?"      

With a rumble we all shuffled to our places and began to sing, one song after another, the words rolling from my tongue, my nerves suddenly gone.       

Throughout our performance Scabiour stood scrutinizing us all, occasionally whispering something in Professor Flitwick's ear before straightening up and flashing the group a smile. Whenever he did this I lost track of what I was singing, the words became jumbled and silently scolded myself.       

He's just a boy! An annoying, idiot of a boy at that!      

Finally, just when I thought it was all over Scabiour piped up, "Didn't you say Miss Vain was going to sing for me, Professor?"      

I cursed him a hundred times over in my brain and then nodded with a gracious as Flitwick called me forward.       

Despite having the advantage of magic, I would always choose to sing into a microphone. It was something to hold onto when everything else seemed to vanish.       

The hall fell silent and they only thing I could see was Scabiour's smile as the music began to play. Soft at first but then it grew louder and so did my voice. Without me realising I was singing, I was filling the room with sound, I was leaving everybody else speechless.       

I finished the first verse and was even starting to relax a little as I waited for my cue to begin the chorus. I didn't let myself smile at the look on Scabiour's face but I knew it would stay with me for a long time.       

I drew in a breath and was about to let it out as words when the door to the hall burst open and a third year Ravenclaw I recognized from the common room, came waltzing through the doors, her friend on her arm, laughing her head off at some unknown joke.       

I seemed to deflate. All the words I had built up to sing were suddenly lost and all that came from my lips was a strangled moan. No one seemed to notice seeing as they were all staring at the intruders but I swear I heard Scabiour laugh.       

"Oh...Did we interrupt something?" The girl, Kristina, I think her name was, asked loudly once she'd realised everyone was staring at her and her friend.       

Flitwick began to answer but I cut him off, replying, "No... Nothing at all,"      

With that I put down my microphone and picked up my school bag. I swung it onto my shoulder and proceeded to stalk from the hall.       

As I reached the two third years, I pushed past them roughly and I heard one of them say, "What's got into her?"       

To my annoyance Scabiour answered, "Oh don't worry girls but Miss Perfect isn't used to interruptions,"      

I felt my face go red and I started to walk faster, tears pricking at my eyes. How could he be so horrible?      

I was almost running as I reached the Grand Staircase and without looking back I began to make my way up the stairs, towards Ravenclaw tower.       

***      

It was only much later when I was sat in my dorm all alone, that I remembered my parents letter. I took it off my bedside and stared at it again.       

What if I didn't want be their little princess anymore? What if I wanted to be a bad girl; a girl unafraid of embarassment and always up for a laugh? What if I didn't want to follow their rules anymore?      

With a flick of my wand a fire sprung up around the paper and slowly burned it to nothing but ash.       

With a malicious smile, I grabbed a piece of parchment from my trunk and scribbled an answer back to them.       

'Dear Mummy and Daddy,

I'm terribly sorry to have to say this but your little witch of a daughter, has greater commitments to attend to at school and I know how much you value my education so it looks like I won't be able to make it. 

Oops!

You're going to have to inform your 'friends' of my decision and find something else to entertain them. 

Love and Kisses

Your good little girl, Liron'