chapter 1

Lana's POV

I secure the ties on the paper gown the hospital administered me, not wanting anyone to see through the flap in the paper like cloth. 'Is this what everyone wears?' I ask myself 'no it can't be, I saw the others on the TV wearing something else'. The nurse had explained to me earlier that the TV was something that one used to watch pre-recorded videos. Apparently it was a big thing here.

My little brother runs towards me, his bare feet lightly slapping against the soft grass. I stood outside the hospital that Carl took us to after we arrived.

"Lana! Lana!" Jacob cried out excitedly " they have the music box like mum!"

"They do?" I ask confused. Only mum had a music box in our village and it hardly ever worked, we only brought it out for special occasions.

"Yes! Carl said I could take it with me to show to you!" Jacob responds eagerly pulling a medium sized, silver box out from behind his back. He flicks a small switch and loud, lively music comes from the box, startling me slightly causing me to jump. "Can we dance, Lana?" he asks me in his adorable lilting English.

"Of course, Jacob" I tell him, my own Russian accent clear even to my own ears.

Whenever mum brought out her music box me and Jacob always danced together, I would let him stand on my feet and we would swing around in circles with wide steps. We continue our tradition when another song comes on, I can hear a couple of the nurses commenting on our dancing, they think we are slightly odd but still adorable. I've not learned that word yet so I decide that I will ask Carl when he visits next. Jacob decides that he does not wish to keep dancing and tells me in Russian that he is going to go play in the sandbox he saw earlier. I tell him it is okay and start looking at the music box, mum's played songs that I could understand but these ones were in English and spoke to fast for me to understand the lyrics. I must ask what they call the boxes, Carl had told me once, but I forgot.

I look up to check on Jacob and see him approaching the woods, "No!!" I yell and quickly run towards him, I pull him away from the trees and back us both up to a safe distance. "You cannot go into the woods, Jacob" I explain to him in out native tongue "there are monsters, it is too dangerous."

"Are there monsters here too?" he asks innocently, looking up at me with wide eyes, terrified, with good reason, by the stories told in our village about the monsters who live in the woods.

"Yes, remember papa telling us about them, they look like men but are controlled by the moon, they have no control over their inner animal and are vicious, they live in every wood."

Jacob nods, taking in what I said and understanding the dangers of the woods. Satisfied with his answer I revert back to English as I ask "would you like to go see if the nurse can find you another... ummm..." I pause forgetting the word they had used.

"Cookie?" Jacob supplies helpfully

"Yes, cookie."

"Ok!" he replies, the monsters in the woods forgotten for the moment, hopefully longer. I smile indulgently at him and his young mind.

Andrew's POV️

I look across the room at my parents fighting, mom thinks dad should just hand over the tittle, that he's too old to be doing this still and I'm ready but he wants to wait for me to find my mate. I want to be alpha but I want to find my mate more, I'm glad dad is giving me time to try and find her. I glance around to make sure no body is around and silently go through the front door. I approach the woods and strip my clothes from my body. I hide them in a 'y' branch of a tree and shift into my sleek, gray wolf the size of at least two regular wolves. I run through the woods until I start to get closer to the local hospital that is surrounded by woods. as I approach I smell the most amazing scent i had ever smelt before, I suddenly remember mom and dad telling me stories about them finding each other.