Underlying Truths - Chapter Five - "The Message"

Start from the beginning

My mouth fell open as my hand instinctively reached up to cover it. The short period of happiness rapidly ebbed away only to be replaced by overwhelming anger, fear, and apprehension. I was stunned in shock, my eyes wide and staring. I read the words written across my windshield, my heart sinking and increasing in pace as each character began forming words. The sobs soon came and I trembled as each one.

I soon couldn't take in anymore and ran to Will's house. I banged on Will's front door, not caring what his family thought of my actions. When I felt that one fist wasn't doing the job fast enough, I resorted to pounding on his wooden front door with both of my fists.

Will's mom pulled the door open, a look of intense worry clouding her features.

"Carina, honey, tell me what's wrong," she calmly prompted.

My breathing was heavy and I was sure my face was pale. My chest was rising and falling with each strangled breath and my eyes were welling up once again in complete terror. I didn't care about being rude at the moment; I merely passed her and ran up the stairs to where I knew I would find Will. Just like I expected, Will was still passed out in his bedroom, his mouth open as light snores resonated within the room. I hurried to his bed and, placing both of my hands on his shoulders, shook him violently.

"Will!" I screamed as loud as I can.

Will shot up in his bed, his eyes squinting as he startled awake.

"What is wrong with you, Carina?" he asked, as he pulled his covers back up over his bare chest as it slipped down onto his lap.

"What's wrong?" I sneered. "WHAT'S WRONG?!"

"Carina..." Will tried once again in a much softer voice.

I merely shook my head firmly and grabbed his wrist, dragging him out of his bed and out to the hallway. His parents were by his bedroom door, completely lost on what was happening. When they saw me briskly walking towards them, their son harshly in tow, they immediately got out of my way. I basically pulled Will down the stairs and out of his house, to my driveway. My nails were digging into his wrist by the time we made it in front of my car.

I quickly dropped his arm once I stared once again at my windshield window. I gaped yet again. Will's eyes followed the direction of my gaze before dropping to his wrist, which he was rubbing to ease the pain I had caused.

It was gone. The message, the writing, the blood-written words--they were gone.

"Do you want to tell me what's wrong now, Carina?" he hissed in frustration.

"It--I saw--" I stuttered in confusion and alarm. "Earlier--I swear. Right there."

"Carina," Will said, taking two steps and standing right before me. "Please tell me why you just dragged me out of bed and into your driveway."

"You're going to think I'm crazy," I sobbed guiltily, my hands covering my face. "You're going to think I'm absolutely insane."

Will grabbed my hands and pulled them away from my face. They dropped to his side, only to stay laced with both of his.

"Try me," Will challenged.

I hiccupped before beginning slowly.

"This morning, I was heading out to get a few things from the store. I came out to my driveway and stopped in my tracks as soon I stood before my car. Will. I

swear, Will. You have to believe me," I pleaded in desperation, my tears flowing freely. My hands tightened around his as he returned the pressure.

"Believe you about what, Cari?" he asked gently.

"On my windshield. They wrote on my windshield, Will. I don't know if it's in blood or maybe just paint, but it was red and it was dripping across the glass," I explained, stumbling over my words.

"He wrote a message for me on my car, Will," I cried out in dread.

Will pulled me into a hug, his arms crossing tightly over my shoulders.

"There's nothing there, Carina," he said comfortingly. "There's nothing there. I'm sure that it was nothing."

I shoved him roughly away from me.

"Why do you never believe me?" I growled at him through gritted teeth. "Are my words not enough anymore? Why is everybody losing trust in me?!"

"Carina," Will cooed, trying to take a few steps closer to me.

I shook my head at him dejectedly.

"You and Spencer. You guys don't even act like you trust me anymore."

"Carina, to be honest, the emails are the only thing you've shown me out of this whole ordeal!" Will exclaimed.

"So what?" I challenged him. "I'm making this all up?! Last night, he came to my room with a knife, Will! And now, this morning, he wrote across my windshield with blood. I realize that I'm the only one to see these things, but why would I make up something like this?! Tell me! WHY?!"

"I don't know, Carina. I honestly don't know," he surrendered.

I stared at the asphalt beneath my feet, trying to figure out why and how this was all happening. As I brought my head up to look at Will's eyes once again, that's when it all clicked.

"I feared that I've been too indirect. I decided to pay you a little visit last night. I told you I'd see you soon," were the words written across my windshield in red, liquid lettering, the image flashing in my mind as I envisioned what I saw just minutes before.

As I thought back to yesterday, Will's response when I asked if I'd see him sometime soon rang clear in my head.

"Maybe much sooner than you expect," he had replied.

"It's you," I whispered out, my eyes narrowing in betrayal and horror.