Chapter 17

Justine

It was the last Sunday in August and our last weekend before the law suit case was heard in September.  The whole Corwin Family was gathered for a Sunday Brunch. Everyone was present at the dining table, except Brandon.

"We'll give him a few more minutes. He isn't answering his phone—he must have overslept.  Alex, maybe you should check on him in the guest house." Cecilia was getting impatient.

The doorbell rang, which seemed odd on a Sunday, with the family already gathered.

Liliana was out of her chair and looked out of the window. "It's Uncle Brandon! Why is he at the front door?" she shouted to everyone.

I got up to answer the door. "May I help you Corwin?"

"Actually Miss McKay, I'm here to ask you out on a date. Would you like to go with me on a horse and carriage ride in Central Park today? We can't go to Hyde Park in England, but it will have to do." He looked pleased with himself and stood there waiting for my answer.

Liliana was on the floor, peeking around the corner. "Say yes, Auntie Justine," she whispered for Brandon, and everyone in the house to hear.

I was in stitches from Liliana's antics. "Yes Corwin, I would love to go on a date with you today.  A horse and carriage ride in Central Park sounds wonderful. The weather is agreeable, Milord."  I spoke in a British accent.

Brandon bowed over my hand and placed a soft kiss on it. "Always Your Servant, Madam." In that moment, I knew this was the man that I wanted to grow old with.

I heard a chair sliding back from the dining table and footsteps on the hardwood floor, approaching the front door.

"I am Justine's big brother. Would you like to introduce me to the young man taking you on a date?" Alex looked at me with a prankish grin.

I hadn't thought about it until now, but Alex really is my brother by marriage.

"Alex, this is Brandon, my boyfriend. Brandon this is Alex, my brother." I played along and I thought it was such a sweet gesture from Alex. I finally had a brother, I started to tear up.

Alex extended his hand. "Nice to meet you Brandon. Come in and meet the rest of the family. We were just having brunch, would you care to join us?"

"I can meet everyone, but Justine and I need to get going. I made reservations for our horse and carriage ride." Brandon was trying to be so serious and acted timid.

Alex thought for a moment. "I see, well just take care of my sister and don't have her out too late. Come meet everyone and take something to eat with you."

Chance got out of his chair and shook Brandon's hand. "Hello Brandon, I'm Chance, Justine's older brother. Why don't you come back for dessert and we can find out all about your intentions with our sister."

Liliana smacked her forehead with her little hand. "Daddy and Uncle Chance, that's really Uncle Brandon. You already know him."

At that point, we all dissolved into laughter. Liliana was still confused as to what was going on.

"They were just playing pretend, love bug." Megan explained to Liliana.

I love this family and the way they all took me in. . . .

I loved observing the playful banter between brothers. They really are close.