Chapter 3

Justine

It is so impossible to believe, I am sitting here in a Diner who knows where, with Brandon Corwin. When he knocked on the door of my old Foster Mother's Brown Stone today, I was astonished when I saw his formidable presence.

No one ever cared about my welfare, not even my own mother and father.

I was touched, Brandon thought me important enough to track me down. He tried to help me, even after I told him that I didn't need his help.

I told him no, the first time and I thought he was gone. He only pretended to leave and followed me to Paula's Brownstone in Brooklyn.

What must he think about a girl like me, with a rough and tough exterior. I'm not soft and cuddly like my sister, Megan.

I've lived a very difficult life on my own for years. I had no one to look out for me, or tuck me in and read bedtime stories to me at night. I had to fend for myself at a young age, until now.

What would it be like to trust those stunning grey eyes, with long midnight eyelashes, that are peering at me, right now?

Those reflective eyes, that match the pouring rain and storm clouds outside the Diner window. He is trying to put together the puzzle that is me.

When we got inside the Diner it started pouring rain, thundering, and lightning. It seems appropriate, for the look Brandon is giving me at present.

Flashback. . .

"Why are you stalking me, Corwin?" I snapped the door open and stood before Brandon with my arms folded.

"I already told you, that I'm fine and I don't need your help. How many times do I have to tell you? Just leave me alone, will you?" I narrowed my eyes at him and spoke through gritted teeth. I just wanted him to go.

He wouldn't leave. Instead, he placed his hand on the door, so I wasn't able to close it. He leaned in dangerously close to me.

"You're stuck with me, whether you like it or not. So, you'd do best to start talking." He stood two inches from my face and my senses were out of control, with him so near. He smelled so good.

"Who sent you? What business is it of yours? You don't even know me." I leaned in closer to his face, and our noses touched. Big mistake. . . I saw just how unbelievably beautiful his grey eyes were up close. I saw every detail, like I was using a microscope.

"No one sent me. You're practically family, being that you're my brother's sister-in-law." He answered.

"Well, I don't see Alex stalking me like you are." I fired back, shrugging my shoulders.

"I hate to break up the party. Your father knows you're here, so you best leave, Justine." Paula spoke with alarm.

"Since you want to help, grab my bag and lets get out of here. Thanks for everything, Paula. By the way this is, Brandon Corwin." I hastily introduced them. I grabbed on to him, as we ran to get in his car, before my father found me.

He threw my bag in the back seat. We jumped into his car quickly and put on our seat belts. Before I lost the nerve, I turned and planted a kiss on his soft lips. I couldn't resist—he was so beautiful and gallant.

That kiss made my heart accelerate, like I had been running a marathon.

"What was that for?" He asked, stunned.