Chapter 1

Justine

I keep getting the feeling like I'm being followed or watched. I keep seeing the same guy everywhere I go. I know I'm not imagining things.

I hear footsteps, and then silence. If I see him again, I'm going to stop him. There he is again.

"Hey, you, are you following me? Did my father send you? You can tell him, that I did what I had to do. I don't owe him anything," I yelled at this strange man, that keeps following me.  Then I started to run, as he came closer to me.

"Hey Justine, he's with me." I froze, as I recognized the deep rich vibrato in the voice of, Brandon Corwin.

How did he find me and what does he want?

He headed toward me. "What do you mean, tell your father you don't owe him? Are you in some kind of trouble? What does your father want from you?" Brandon folded his arms and waited for me to answer, with that brooding look of his.

Great this is all I need. I was purposely, laying low and hiding from John McKay, my father.

"I'm not answering that question. I'm not on trial, Mr. Attorney." I gave him a cold hard stare, looking into his ridiculously handsome face. But I stood my ground.

Brandon took me by my arm. "I'd like to talk to you for a minute, please?" He used a commanding tone. I don't think so, I will not let him boss me around.

I yanked out of his hold. "Isn't it customary to say hello and ask how are you? Where are your manners, Mr. Corwin?" I was being sarcastic. Something about him brought that out in me.

"Why, hello Justine. How have you been, since you left one year ago without a word?" Brandon sounded annoyed. What's it to him if I left?

"What do you care what I do or don't do? I left to escape my father and that really is none of your business, anyway." I replied indignantly, with a smirk on my face.

I couldn't believe this guy. . . . But there he stood. He looked unbelievably attractive, with his stubbled chin, thick jet black hair, piercing grey eyes, and long dark eyelashes.

"Your sister has been worried about you, and why you vanished after her and Alex's wedding."  His irritation became evident.

"Well, you can tell her I'm fine." I peered into his grey eyes, sincerely.

"You can tell her yourself. I'm bringing you to her house. You can't live on the run in a neighborhood and apartment like this Justine." He looked around gesturing at the terrible conditions I was living under.

I lived in a rundown apartment building, in a pretty rough section of the Bronx. Graffiti adorned all the buildings, as if it were a fresh coat of paint. Broken glass littered the sidewalk like shiny jewels. 

The air held the aroma of many unpleasant smells. A sight seeing bus would not take a tour here . This was not the neighborhood for the faint at heart. But, this was home for me.

"It beats living out of my car. I'm fine on my own." I hissed back at him.

I wasn't planning to run to my sister for help. She has a nice family now, and a home. She didn't need my baggage.

"I'm not leaving you here. Megan would never forgive me. If you're in trouble, let me help you. It's what I do as a lawyer. I defend people every day." He approached me, cautiously. Could I trust him?

"I don't have money for a lawyer. I'll be okay, if I stay out of sight. Thank you." I turned down his offer and stepped away from him.

"Don't worry about the money, you're family." He was insistent, and put his hands on my shoulders. His touch felt warm, and an electric current radiated from it.