Chapter 16

Justine

For the next month, Brandon and I spent as much time as we could getting to know each other. He prepared me for my eyewitness testimony for the lawsuit. And he read to Liliana and I every night, as he had promised.

We spent weekends at his mother's house, with the entire family. Chance and Avalon stayed on the weekends. Alex and Megan walked from next door. We caught fireflies and put them in a jar—according to the Corwin Brothers tradition.

We went sailing on the Corwin V and it was marvelous out on the water, with the wind blowing through my auburn locks. I loved snuggling up to Brandon.

We roasted marshmallows and made s'mores. I saw Brandon and his brothers relive their childhood. Me, Megan, and Avalon, got to experience the childhood that none of us had growing up.

Liliana was in her glory with her mother, father, uncles, aunties, and grandmother showering her with love. It was the best summer that I have ever had. I never allowed myself to dream of a future like this.

"Would you care for a s'more, Miss McKay?" Brandon held out the plate.

"Why yes, Sir Brandon. Thank you I would." I went to grab a s'more.

He held the plate behind his back. "Only if I get a kiss first." He smiled like a troublesome little boy.

He sat down next to me on the lush grass, that felt like carpet beneath us. I leaned in and gave him a kiss. "Now can I have a s'more?"

"Yes you may." He gave me a sly grin, full of mischief.

We gazed at the stars and constellations in the sky—as he put his strong arms around me. He lightly brushed his fingers across my arms, and that light touch gave me goosebumps.

What a majestic clear night. Spending it sitting, with my favorite attorney—made it that much sweeter.

"Are you and your brothers prepared for this case next month?" I asked, looking over into his eyes.

"As ready as we're going to be." He blew out his cheeks. "I never found a contract between my father and yours, because there isn't one. I'm convinced of that. He passed away before that happened—John McKay is bluffing." Brandon's eyes sparkled as he looked into the sky.

"I'm sure you're right. My father will say, or do anything to get money." I leaned on his shoulder.

"We had better go for our bedtime stories reading with Liliana. I'll race you." He had a roguish gleam in his eyes.

I just love this man. He hasn't said he loves me yet, but his actions speak it every day.

I haven't told him that I love him, for fear of being hurt. This summer has been like a dream, I'm afraid someone will wake me up from.

We raced upstairs to Liliana's bedroom. Brandon let me win, even though he insisted he got a Charlie horse. I found that hard to believe—out of nowhere, and had to stop running.

Liliana picked a book from her massive library collection. She got in her bed and under her comforter. I sat on her bed and paid rapt attention to Brandon's story time.

Liliana's gasps and giggles, along with Brandon's deep rich timbre as he read was intoxicating.

He would look up from the book intermittently, through his long dark as soot eyelashes. I wanted to melt into the floor when his eyes met mine.

Brandon literally had a mesmerizing way of reading. He was unrivaled even by his brother Alex, who was also an amazing reader.

After Liliana fell asleep we tucked her in, and headed downstairs. The rest of the family was still relaxing outside underneath the brilliant starry sky.

Brandon grabbed my hand and led me to the Great room. "I have a gift for you."

He handed me a nicely gift wrapped rectangular box with a bow. I couldn't imagine what it was.

I took off the wrapping and gasped. "An autographed hardcover copy of my favorite book. How did you know I really wanted this? It's not available yet," I spoke softly.

"I remembered that morning when I was in the pool, and you came out to read your book. I took the book from you and read the title." He touched my face, and lifted my chin to meet his grey gaze.

"It was so endearing, an exuberantly spunky girl like yourself loves romance books." He winked his eye at me jokingly.

"You better tread lightly, Corwin. Don't make me throttle you." I held up my fist in a playful manner.

"You said most women enjoy romance. I told you I would keep that in mind, Miss McKay." He reminded me of our conversation.

"I can't believe you remembered the name of the book." I was truly amazed.

He grinned impishly. "I Googled it, and saw that the book was coming out this fall in hardcover for the first time. I figured you would love a copy."

I slid my arms around his neck. "Thank you so much," I whispered in his ear, as I choked back tears.

"Now part two of your gift." He led me to the sofa.

"There's more?" I stood in wonder.

He sat down on the leather couch, and patted the spot next to him. "Have a seat." I sat down next to him, and he motioned for me to cuddle close to him. I gladly followed his instructions.

He took the book from my hands, and began reading Chapter One to me. I was now totally undone, and madly in love with Brandon Corwin.

We sat in the Great room on the couch, with him reading the first two Chapters of my favorite book of all time to me. Never would I have imagined a better date, with my favorite man in the whole world.

                               ~Please Don't Forget to Vote/Comment~
                 A/N: I Love This Chapter and I hope you did too! ❤️