Chapter 5

Brandon

On the car ride to my mother's suburban home outside of New York City, Justine started expounding on why she was on the run. She filled in an important puzzle piece of John McKay's connection to the Corwin Family.

"My father said, that Gregory Corwin was in talks to purchase a piece of real estate property in the City, before he passed away." She paused. "He explained that your father had a heart attack, before the deal went through. I'm so sorry about your father." Justine touched my shoulder.

Her touch didn't go unnoticed. It was light, but powerful enough to give me a jolt.

She continued. "When Chance took over as CEO and Alex became the CFO—they decided not to purchase the property. My father would have netted $500K on the sale. He feels your father would have made good on the deal, and now the Corwins owe him that money." Justine blew out a breath after relating those pertinent facts.

"I vaguely remember Alex, referencing that deal and he as the CFO didn't think that was a sound investment. I'll call Chance and Alex and have them meet us at my mom's house. Thy need to bring home the paperwork also." I was brainstorming as I drove.

"I need to review it. Thank you—now this is starting to make sense." That intel was jaw dropping. I wasn't expecting her to divulge that.

John McKay, was in real estate talks with our father?

"Your welcome. I hope it helps." She said earnestly.

"My father wanted me to help him, with a new scheme to get his $500K. He was using Liliana's custody battle as a way to get his money. Then, I came along and frustrated his plan. He feels I owe him, big time." Justine spoke candidly and didn't hold anything back.

I picked up her hand and placed a soft kiss on it. "Thank you for not going along with your father. I know it was difficult for you, and now you are on the run. But, we will end that now. It looks like we'll be having another battle with John McKay."

Justine looked at me with worry-filled eyes. "Brandon, my father doesn't like to lose and he won't stop, until he gets what he wants. I don't want you to get hurt."

Her concern for me, means more to me than she could possibly know. It touched a special place in my heart.

"Thank you, I'll be fine. We're all going to be alright. I'm going to get you situated safely at my mother's home. My brothers and I will get to work, and deal with this once and for all." I gave her my word on that.

I put my cellphone on speaker and spoke to Chance and Alex, as I drove. I filled them in on the story Justine had just told me.

They remembered that deal—they both agreed it wasn't a wise investment. They agreed to come to the house this evening to discuss a plan of action moving forward.

Chance ~ Flashback. . .

"I have a meeting with Alex, at 11:30 a

"I have a meeting with Alex, at 11:30 a.m. and I was going to order lunch for us here in my office." I told Michelle, because I couldn't have lunch with her. My brother and I would be bogged down with financial discussions.

I'm two years older than him, and we were always close growing up. He knows me better than anyone. I was so happy that I didn't have to coax, or persuade him to become my, CFO when I became the CEO of our father's company.

Alex, had his Master of Business Administration Degree, and was beyond qualified for the job. My father had groomed us to be a part of Corwin Development Corporation, and eventually to take over. . .

"Does this have anything to do with, Avalon Brooks?" He scrutinized me carefully.

"It has everything to do with Avalon. To be honest, it has up to the day Dad died." That was the first time I admitted that out loud, even to myself.

"I could never understand why you listened to Mom? I knew how strongly she was against you, but. . . ."

"Thanks a lot Bro, we had better get started with these financial reports, or we'll be here all night. Dad was involved with ongoing talks, with purchasing that prime real estate property. I had sent you a memo about it yesterday." I reminded him.

"I hope you got a chance to look at it—I needed you to tell me the financial risks involved in acquiring that particular property. I needed your financial advice on the new one, that I'm looking into." I put the focus back on our business at hand.

End of Flashback. . .

Chance ~ (Corwin Development Corporation)

I remember that day well. . . .Is that what started all of this nonsense, with John McKay? I sat at my desk, with my head in my hands.

There was a knock at my door. "Enter."

"Mr. Corwin, I need you to come to the front desk right away." Barbara spoke anxiously.

I went out to Barbara's desk, to see what was going on. There was a woman waiting with an envelope in her hand.

"Chancellor Corwin?" She asked in a formal voice.

"Yes, I'm Chancellor Corwin."

"You've been served." The woman handed me the envelope and walked out of the door.

I opened the envelope. It contained an official document, that Corwin Development Corporation is being sued by John McKay for $1,000,000. He is suing us for Breach of Contract.

I walked into Alex's office, without knocking. I was beyond furious and not in a good mood, after this jaw dropper happened.

"Chance, what's up? You don't look good—take a seat." Alex gestured for me to sit in one of the chairs facing his desk. I plopped down hard into a chair.

"I've been formally served, with these legal papers. Corwin Development Corporation is being sued for $1 million by John McKay." I handed the paperwork to Alex and I sat there dumbfounded over the audacity of this lunatic.

"Will this guy ever stop? We gotta end this. I'm going to call Brandon back and let him know that now we're being sued. This was a deal that was in the works from our father, who passed away. We weren't obligated to go through with that deal." Alex replied heatedly.

This guy has to be dealt with, enough is enough. That's what this has all been about from day one, with John McKay.

                                ~Please Don't Forget to Vote/Comment~
                                          I Appreciate Your Support