Chapter 9

Brandon

I can't believe it's Friday already. I was so looking forward to going home, to stay in my mother's guest house. My mother's guest house is like staying in a luxury 5 star hotel.

As much as I didn't want to admit it to myself, there was one source for my elation. I was anticipating spending the evening in Justine's company. Before I left the house this morning, I spoke with my mother. I told her if she took Justine shopping today, I would pay for whatever she purchased. I wanted her to have a new wardrobe of clothes, shoes, and personal items.

I knew she wouldn't say yes to me. But she would have a hard time saying no to Cecilia Corwin, easily.

I was truly excited to treat her to a shopping spree. What has gotten into me?

I wrapped up my day at my law office. I grabbed the folder of paperwork I spent the entire day combing through for Chance. And headed to Suburbia, with a smile on my face.

My cellphone rang as I was driving and I put it on speaker. "Hi Jennifer, what's up?"

"Hi Brandon. I was thinking about our conversation a few days ago and thought maybe we could get together for dinner tonight, or tomorrow. I didn't like how things ended between us." Jennifer waited expectantly for my reply.

I was trying to have regard for her feelings. "Jennifer, I'm not going to be able to have dinner with you tonight, or tomorrow. Something unexpected has happened over the past couple of days, involving my family." I didn't share details.

"I'll be representing them in a lawsuit. I'll be with my family this weekend, I'm sorry." I didn't want to mention Justine—that wouldn't be wise on my part.

"Of course, your family always comes first. How foolish of me to think that will ever change. Now you're acting as their attorney," she spoke sharply, sounding bitter.

"I don't want to hurt you on purpose. This situation literally, happened yesterday. And it involves my family, I'm going to be tied up this weekend." I was being honest.

"This is a serious situation and I don't know what else to say. Jen, I'm sorry." I was really upset at our frustrating circumstances. My brows furrowed together.

She sighed and I heard the disappointment. "I wish things were different Brandon, I really do. . . You're an awesome guy, just not for me."

"Jen, please, I'm trying to figure out a way to work things out between us." I didn't want things to end badly and I wanted to try.

"Don't bother yourself, Brandon. Obviously, you have a lot on your plate right now. I'd rather be with someone who can make me a priority. That doesn't seem to be you." Now she was lashing out unfairly.

"Jen, this lawsuit against my family is real and could get messy. You can't expect me not to help my brothers. That's not reasonable on your part," I raised my voice, then lowered it. This isn't optional, this is involving our family business.

"I'm not making excuses here. I'm sorry, if you can't give me time to get through this," I held back the emotions that were rising to the surface.

"No, I can't Brandon. Your time is up. We're better off as friends, it's not going to work between us." She had made up her mind.

"After the lawsuit, it will be something else. . . I'm done, goodbye Brandon." She spoke devoid of feelings and then Jen was gone.