Chapter 6

Justine

We arrived at Mrs. Corwin's house, I can't believe how huge and impressive it is. I never knew this kind of life. Brandon called his mother on our way here. He let her know that she'd be having a house guest for a while, like last summer.

But it was just me—I didn't have any children. She was thrilled to take me in and give me a safe haven from, John McKay. She couldn't stand the man, and neither can I. So we'll get along fine.

We pulled into the circular driveway of this magnificent estate, with its arrantly manicured landscaping. The green grass reminded me of a plush carpet and the shrubs looked like sculptures, the way they were shaped.

This was nothing like my neighborhood in the Bronx. I'm definitely in Suburbia right now. The estate sat on several acres of land and was surrounded by majestic towering trees, that were like skyscrapers.

I'd be happy to live in one of the garages. They had a beautiful guest house in the back. I remember a magnificent pool, that had a waterfall. Along with a teakwood deck and an outdoor kitchen setup.

I laughed to myself, as I imagined the squirrels living in custom built townhouses in the trees. . . .

Out came Cecilia Corwin. "It's so nice to see you Justine. It's been a while, since Alex and Megan's Wedding."

I forgot how stunning Cecilia is. She is fifty-five years old, with long salt and pepper locks. She has beautiful brown eyes and is in top notch shape. She is elegance personified. Her presence is very striking, like all three of her sons.

She is every bit the matriarch of this family. She is loved by her sons, daughters-in-law, and Liliana, her granddaughter. After her husband died, she did a 360 degree change and acquiesced to her son's choices for their wives.

She realized how important her family was to her and keeping them together is her top priority. Liliana, her granddaughter, made a huge impact on her life, as well.

"Please come in, and make yourself at home. I have a room prepared for you. Brandon, can bring your bags inside." She was very hospitable, as she clasped her hands in front of her.

My face turned red. "I only have one bag and it's literally, a bag. I don't own much."

"That's okay. We'll have to go shopping and get you some clothes. I don't know if Brandon informed you of my love of shopping, as well as spoiling the women in my son's lives," she whispered loudly for Brandon to hear.

Did she just call me the woman, in Brandon's life? I don't belong to him, and I don't need her taking me shopping.

I wasn't expecting to be so welcomed by Brandon's very upper class mother. Especially, considering my background and upbringing. I heard how she used to be, from Megan and Avalon.

I guess she really has turned over a new leaf. My sister told me she even expressed her deep regret to Avalon. She was very sorry for the way she treated her, before her and Chance got married.

Brandon discreetly took my bag out of the backseat of his car and brought it to my room, himself. His mother gave me a tour of this gorgeous house.

I took a mental note to thank him for his regard-fulness.

One of my favorite rooms in this house, is the great room. It has vaulted ceilings, with a stone fireplace and lots of windows. It is so bright and airy in here. It feels like my face is kissed by the sun, without even going outside.