Chapter 13

Justine  (One Month Later. . .)

My fear came true right after the restaurant encounter, with Jennifer. I spent a lovely evening with Brandon underneath the starry sky. How enjoyable to laugh and talk all night—that kiss was spine-tingling.

It's now the beginning of August and Brandon did a 360 degree turn around. He focused on work and preparing for the law suit against Corwin Development Corporation. He was still reeling from the breakup between him and Jennifer. I couldn't see the figurative rope pulling him back and forth.

He became distant—we lost the connection that was developing between us. We stopped having our usual banter, I had grown very fond of. I missed him, and didn't know what to do to help him figure out his feelings.

Over the past month, he spent more and more time at his law office. He was always there or preparing the case with his brothers, at Corwin Development Corporation. He was trying to find some type of contract to support my father's claim, he was owed $1 million.

He wasn't even showing up for dinner. Liliana decided to go back home, since Uncle Brandon was never here. She enjoyed staying with he and I here—he had stopped reading bedtime stories to her. I guess I wasn't a good reader. Little girls are so funny. She wasn't fooling me . . . she fancied herself a matchmaker. Without Brandon present, there was no match to be made. I sighed as I fluffed my pillow, before getting out of bed.

It was still early in the morning and I imagined Cecilia was asleep. I happened to look out of my window and caught sight of Brandon taking an early morning swim in the pool. It was then, I decided enough is enough.

I had gone soft—I needed to bring back feisty Justine. If Jennifer leaving got his attention, I guess I needed to leave too. I don't care about being their only key witness in this law suit.

I have more important things to do. I have to fight fire with fire.

I had breakfast with Cecilia, and decided to do the unthinkable—I actually confided in her.

"Good morning, Cecilia. I wanted to speak to you if you have a few minutes?" I sounded nervous to my own ears, as I sat down at the kitchen table.

"Sure, Justine. What's wrong?" Cecilia looked at me anxiously.

"As you have noticed—Brandon has been busy for this past month and very distant. I feel he is using work as an excuse. He's trying to deal with his feelings about breaking up with Jennifer." I offered my take on Brandon's behavior.

"Yes, I've been trying to figure out a way to approach the subject. But I felt it might be best if I stay out of it." Cecilia thought before she continued. "I made that mistake with Chance and Avalon. I still regret my actions and what I put poor Avalon through. I almost cost my son, the best thing that ever happened to him. I'm so happy that they both forgave me." Cecilia's eyes showed true regret.

She paused. "I never liked Jennifer. She actually comes from a very large wealthy family. But she never understood the close family bond between Brandon and his brothers."

"She always wanted him to spend time her family. Her mother and father are both living and still married. Whereas, Brandon, lost his father and only has us," she got choked up thinking about their tragic loss.

"Jennifer, is spoiled and selfish. She wanted all of Brandon's time. She enjoyed having him as a trophy boyfriend. After all, he's a good catch for any single woman. Brandon was blinded by her beauty and could never see her true character. But when you came along, I saw a change in my son—I was thrilled," she continued to fight back tears.