Chapter 7

Brandon

I spent the night at my mother's house—on the couch in the great room

I spent the night at my mother's house—on the couch in the great room. I slept in
my clothes from yesterday. I need to go to my apartment, shower, and change clothes.

I had the most difficult night's sleep, thinking about the most vexing woman I have ever met. She is fascinating and down right irritating at the same time.

She is ridiculously stubborn, and unreasonable. I want her to stay here. . .at my mother's house where she can be safe and cared for. I didn't want to admit it, but I care a lot about her for some unknown reason. I just can't help it.

She is feisty as can be and I love the way that she calls me, Corwin. The woman is bold and brave. I feel drawn to her like a magnet. I can't think straight when I'm around her. Why does she insist on leaving and going back to her old life?

How can I stop her? I have to prepare for this lawsuit against a madman. Yet, my mind is on Justine, with her intriguing green eyes.

I went in the kitchen to make a cup of coffee. "Justine, what are you doing up so early?"

"Where are your manners, Corwin? It's customary to say, good morning. Even I know that." She winked at me and took a sip of tea from her teacup.

"My apology, Milady. Good morning, Justine. How are you on this lovely day?" I bowed respectfully, as if she were royalty.

Blushing adorably, she spoke with a British accent. "I'm quite well Milord, thank you for asking. Would you care for some tea and scones?" She took a bite of an invisible scone.

"That's quite alright, Milady. I prefer coffee and it's much too early for scones." I couldn't hold back my laughter, anymore.

We both burst out uncontrollably. It broke the tension that surrounded us when I first saw her in the kitchen.

"I expected you to sneak out last night. I'm surprised you're still here." I was being completely honest.

"I'm impressed Corwin, you're actually getting to know me. Normally, I would have snuck out last night. But, this is in the middle of suburbia and it was pitch black outside. I had no clue how to get out of here." She was surprisingly, straightforward.

"Well, I can give you a ride into the City and you can be on your way from there." I actually, offered to drop her off in Manhattan on her own, to fend for herself. What was I thinking? I didn't really want her to leave.

"That's mighty kind of you to offer. Are you trying to get rid of me, already?" She teased me, and looked demurely in my direction.

"Actually, I'm not. I like stalking you, remember? I don't want you to leave." I said that a little more seriously, than I intended to. I locked eyes with her, as I stated that.