Chapter 3

Buttons

Tom POV

  I turn around facing my bed, still checkered. I remember, tord used to love my checkered stuff. He could sit on the checkered bed all day and night and wouldn't care one bit. I chuckle at the thought. I walk to the lamp on my nightstand, putting my hand on the switch to turn the lamp on.

   I look at my wrist… checkered wristband. I remember tord gave me this. He said that I looked cool wearing it when I played my bass guitar named Susan. That was also checkered. I walk to the bed hopping on it with a bounce. I look at the ceiling. “Why can't a get tord out of my head… it's like everything that’s here reminds me of him.” I whisper madly at myself. I sigh, closing my eyes, like taking a breather. I open them realizing I'm going to get bored if I don't do something, now. I look on the side of my bed put my hand out, pretending to play a game, waving my hand like a dolphin or pretend it’s an Olympic person running to the finish line. I'm waving my hands in the air like crazy when my right hand hits something... hard. My guitar falls over from the impact. I get up quickly, looking over my hand.

   I had a cut, not too deep, but just enough to do some damage. Blood running from my hand, I get up quickly, fast walking to the bathroom. I turn on the water with my available hand. Rinsing  my hand off in the water. I rub over the cut a few before my eyes look into my reflection eyes. “Really tom, you got hurt for doing something stupid, I thought you were smart. Obviously not. You know what would've been smart…” I glare at myself in the mirror, saying this all. “... If you didn't kill tord, you Monster.” I start laughing, not a good, joyful laugh. But a hysterical one. A psycho laugh. A darker ego laugh. The word monster, made me feel… good about myself, for some reason. I laugh harder, but my laugh immediately stops when I hear a knock on my door. I hear edd voice, while still looking in the mirror. What happen to me, it was like someone else was talking. “Tom, Are you alright? You were laughing pretty hard in there.” Edd voice echoes in my head. The same sentence like it was a broken record, playing over and over again. “Tom, Are you alright?” Those words rung in my head. It made me question myself. Am I alright? I'm kicked out of my thoughts.

  I turn off the water realizing I've been here too long. “Yea edd, just thought of something a year ago that was funny.” I grab the bandages and wrap my hand around in it, so the blood wouldn’t leak anywhere. I hear footsteps leave the outside of the door. I poke my head out of the bathroom still listening to the footsteps as they fade away.

  I turn to look at my bandages, lifting one eyebrow to my stupidity of an accident. I walk over to my guitar. And pick it up. But something catches my eye. The picture of tord falls. The one I wrote on. I grab it and glare at my past self doing this. It was a nice picture but, I had to ruin it. I went to put it back when I see The red button. The one that tord used to open the door to his laboratory. I stare memories coming at me again. I had push it. I just had too. I run to the door opening it slightly to a crack, to see if edd and matt would notice if I did. Nope, they wouldn't, their faces looked like they were too into the movie to even notice anything. Even if I slapped their faces, they would still look dumb founded. I close the door silently, running back to the button, and pushing it without hesitation.

  The entire wall opens, and the laboratory is revealed once more to me again. I walk in slowly, memories flowing through my mind like a smooth river. My breath is heavy, but I don't care. I look around not really looking around the first I was here. I take a deep breathe as I step on the edge of beginning of the medal floor and the end of the carpet.

   I step in, the feeling of all the past feelings I had come at me all at once. All those dark memories. I’m overwhelmed, taken back, out of breathe. I walk as my finger traced the machines where my enemy once had. Looking and feeling it now with my mouth parted slightly, brought feelings to my body that I can't explain. I soon reach a set of stairs. Made of the same material as the floors. I walk up the small set of stairs.

   My steps very quiet, as if I'm a child, sneaking cookies, without my parents knowing. The first thing I see is a mirror. It immediately reminds me of Matt. I keep walking. I get up to a counter like table. Six buttons all installed in, with numbers and colors on them.

Target 1 - red

Target 2 - blue

Target 3 - purple

Target 4 - green

Target 5 - dark green

Target 6 - dark purple

 There was another button on there, but it was a dark blue with the number 7 on it. It was crossed out. On the top of the table was the words written in bold black

       Information/targets

What does that mean? I trace my fingers along the side of the table. Inevitably reaching the Target 2. Blue. And pushing it. The room goes dim as the walls start to close. I gasp, my eyes widening. I want to run over to the last few inches of the opened wall, and slide out before getting trapped. But, before I can move. Six beeps are made by the machine. I turn to look at it. A hologram of words saying.

Don't move. You are safe.

  I don't want to listen to it, but the words are putting me into a trace. Something I can't break out of. It kinda makes me want to tell it everything. Even though it is just words on a screen, it does make me feel safe. Then it says something else.

You have no reason to worry, I'm here. But you will not truly feel safe if I don’t introduce myself.

My name is Aroa. I am the trusty robot guide. I will answer your every question. I will not keep any secrets, unless told too, and will not tell any secrets unless told too.

   It feels weird. Talking to a robot. It makes me feel lonely. Then it hits me. If tord built this… he had to built it for a reason. He needed someone to tell everything too, and the only person/robot that would be is Aroa. I can use this to an advantage. I clear my throat putting my hand above my mouth in a fist. “Hi, Aroa…”

Are you sick, tord? You sound different. Is there anything I can get you?

  I stare at Aroa, debating whether I should tell her it's not tord, or if I don't tell her at all. Okay tom, think smart. If you tell the robot it's not tord she might shut you out. But, if you tell her it is tord then, she going to find out sooner or later. They always do.

Hello? Is anyone there? Coz I swear I hear breathing…?

   Crap, I was in my thoughts too long…again. I decided to tell her that I'm not tord, and if she were to shut me out. At least it wouldn't change anything. It would be like nobody was even here. Or maybe she will go in defence mode. If she kills me, is that a good thing? People won't have to look at me again, everyone can be happy without me. Maybe I'll see tord. Well, I guess it's time for my life changing answer.

   “Aroa, I am not tord. I merely think I killed him. He is no longer with us.” And with that I think I did a pretty good job. She didn't speak right away. She thought. Like as if she was buffering, on what to do. Is she not programmed? Then she speaks.

You killed tord… what is your name fearless one…

My name? Hmmm? My name brings many memories. Tom is Jehovah's Witness. Tom likes to be better than everyone else. Tom kills people... Tom killed Tord. I hesitantly say my name, as if I don't know it. I take a deep breathe to calm my nerves. “My name is Tom.” There’s silence...again. Aroa speaks.

Tom, the demon of Chaos. You are the chosen one. You must hit the button that says Target 1 red.

   Im blank, the demon of chaos? What is she talking about? But, she also said the color of something i knew very well. I look at the button swiftly. The color, repeats itself over and over again in my head.

Red, red, red, red.

I keep recalling events in my head. Red is the color of roses. Red is the color of blood. Red is the color of anger. Red is the color of love. Red… is the color of tord.

                            -Mcg