Blood Transfer

Nada's POV

No sooner had we put on the sanitary clothes, the doctors led us through a maze of halls in the huge base hospital until we got to a door. We couldn't exactly go into Riza's room so we had to go into an observing room next door.

Aly gasped as she saw Riza through the window. Her body was hooked up to an endless amount of machines and she had an oxygen mask on. Her skin looked so pale like she was a porcelain doll. She looked so… lifeless.

“She’s lost a significant amount of blood. With her current state...” The doctor spoke, interrupting the silence. I stared at him, then back at Riza. At the moment, when I saw her, it felt like just me and her in the room as her soul felt as if it was drifting away. As I watched her, I sort of zoned out in what the doctor was telling us and it seemed like everyone else was too.

“...emergency blood transfer.”  

“Emergency what?” I tilted my head.

The doctor cleared his throat before starting  over. “We are going to need to do an emergency blood transfer. As in, one with live donors. If we do this, our chances of saving her life will  be heightened.”

Aly, Dimitri, Al, and I looked at the doctor as if he had grown another head. A live donor? What if none of us had her blood type? The doctors went around and pulled up our medical files. While he was gone, we looked back at each other and Aly sighed.

“Riza’s okay. We’ll get the blood transfer done and she’ll get better.” She smiled, looking a little pale herself. “If not, Nada will just pull her from Hell and bring her back to where she belongs.”

Al frowned and looked away, staring intently at Riza as if she’d just get up and break away from the machines, but as always, life isn’t a fair as you’d want it to be.

“She will.” Dimitri spoke up, crossing his arms. “She’ll be okay.”

The doctor came back and glanced at Riza before turning his attention back to us. “Your friend here has a very rare blood type. O negative. Although she’d be able to give blood to anyone, she can only receive O negative blood from a donor.”

Al’s frown deepened as he tore his eyes away from Riza to look at the doctor. “You said she needs blood and she needs it now. Find a donor so we can start this process. You people don’t even look like you’re trying to get anything done!”

“Chill out, Al.” Dimitri sent him a glare.

“Then let’s do something about her! I’ll ‘chill out’ when Riza’s up and on her feet, smiling. I’ll ‘chill out’ when she opens her eyes again, damn it!”

Aly sighed and looked up at the doctor. “Are we capable of being donors?”

“None of you are, except her brother.” The doctor looked at his clipboard and flipped through a few sheets as he read off a list. “Alision McGrath, O positive. Alagretto Everley, B. Timothy Grant, AB. Dimitri Kenin, O negative.”

“Timothy Grant?” Dimitri eyed me. I rolled my eyes.

“You should’ve known Nada wasn’t my real name.”

The doctor cleared his throat and we all turned our attention back to him. Dimitri nodded, telling him that he’d do the blood donation. When the doctor told us to leave, Al refused, stating that he’d stay by Riza’s side.

I shrugged and let him do what he wanted as the doctor walked out with Dimitri. Aly and I walked silently back to the front waiting room where the rest of the STF waited. They saw us and immediately bombarded us with questions.

I stayed quiet as Alicia looked at me, frowning. Aly stepped in front of me and smiled at everyone, telling them to sit down.

“Riza’s perfectly fine and everything’s going to be okay.” She lied through her teeth as I watched her, but I knew it was for a good cause. If we told everyone that there was a possibility that Riza could die if this blood transfer didn’t work out, they’d most likely go crazy.

All we could do is wait now.