Chapter Twenty: The Cost of Devotion (Part I)

Erin didn't trust Alastor Weiss, nor did she particularly like him. However, her feelings were not exactly unfounded. After all, he had put a knife to her throat and threatened to kill her. Now she was expected to do business with him, and for what?

To ensure Casius returns to his family, a little voice in the back of her head responded. Honestly, sometimes you're such a selfish arse!

The four of them were seated around a small wooden table - one of the very few "luxuries" Alastor Weiss held - where they continued to discuss the matter at hand. Alastor and Hirst had appeared to strike up an instant friendship with each other, exchanging hearty laughs and tips on how to woo women whilst enjoying some freshly made barley tea. Erin stared across at the man, whose strange, enigmatic nature continued to baffle her. Her cup of tea sat, untouched, in front of her.

'So, you're telling me she actually hit you?' Alastor asked, referring to the incident back at The Faux. Erin recalled how the dwarf had attempted to pursue a female necromancer, despite the poor woman proclaiming that she wasn't a prostitute.

Hirst nodded. 'She got me right here.' He pointed to his left eye. 'It was so unexpected, I fell into the wall!'

Alastor threw his head back and laughed. 'Oh, my! It sounds like this journey of yours has been most adventurous.'

The dwarf spared Erin and Casius, who were silently observing from the other side of the table, a mere glance. 'Yeah,' he muttered. 'It's had its fair share of ups and downs, but, hey, what can you do?'

'That is true,' Alastor said. He took a quick sip of tea before setting the cup down. 'I have to say, I still can't quite believe you came all the way from Laistenbal just to find me. Why, I'm flattered! To think you've all gone to such lengths...'

'Pfft! You try travelling with these two for a couple of days. I swear, it's like minding a monkey and an ox with breasts...'

Alastor's gaze wandered to Erin, whose unforgiving stare never shifted from his dishevelled form. The smile he wore faltered slightly and he inclined his head to the side. 'You haven't touched your tea,' he observed. When all he received was a tense silence, he sighed and pushed his own cup away. 'You're still upset over our earlier misunderstanding.'

Erin snorted. 'Really? Whatever gave you that idea?'

'And they said the form of sarcasm was dead.' Alastor's features softened, even in spite of her bitter attitude. 'Again, I apologise for what happened. It was uncalled for. However, you cannot deny that I had a good reason for resorting to such my brash circumstances. I was convinced you were a ruthless thief out to claim what very little I have.'

'You put a knife to my throat!' Erin slammed her hand down against the table, ignoring the dull rattling of wood and the clattering of cups. 'I'd hardly call that a misunderstanding...'

'Look, I understand your reasons for not wanting to converse with me,' he said, 'but how many times must I apologise before you learn to forgive and forget?'

'Apologise as many times as you want. It won't make a bloody difference.'

The man's gaze drifted over to Casius, whose impassive expression gave nothing away. 'I see. So, tell me again, why are you here?' He smiled, looking back over at Hirst. 'You said you were in search of something rare?'

Hirst nodded. 'That's right.'

'And what is it that you seek, exactly?'

'Uh, well...'

'This.' It was Erin who spoke.

She gestured in Casius' direction. The angel stood up, recognising his cue to do so, and reached for the clasp of the cloak securing his wings. He unhooked it at once, prompting his wings to burst free from their restraints. The oversized feathers twitched and flapped, proving that they were indeed real.