Chapter Three: The Cryptess (Part I)

MEDIA:

The original cover for Messenger From The Sky :3

* * *

The residents of Bayloch were greeted with cloudless blue skies and a calm midsummer's breeze, which was enough to make them forget about the wrath of last night's storm. Luckily, it had passed over without causing any severe damage to the town, meaning the residents could resume their daily routines as normal without having to worry about making time for repairs.

Erin was both pleased and relieved at the same time. The town of Bayloch was small, housing a population of just over 800, which meant that it was feeble to the force of Mother Nature – an element no magician could ever hope to tame, regardless of how powerful they claimed to be.

It was a miracle no damage had been done, taking into consideration the storm's severity, but Erin was most grateful for the fact that no casualties had occurred during the tempest's vicious reign.

But the chaos had long since disappeared, making way for another blissful day, and as Erin made her way through the woods, following the route of the wide path which led to the main part of Bayloch, she took a deep breath, absorbing the fresh, intoxicating scent of summer.

She could feel the morning sun beating down on her back as she continued along her way, immersing herself in the sweet melody provided by the birds around her. Though their forms were masked by the dense foliage of the surrounding trees, she knew that they were there. A content smile played on her lips when she realised that she wasn't alone, that Mother Nature was watching over her, accompanying her on her short venture.

'What do you Mortals call this item of clothing again?'

The smile instantly faltered when she remembered the angel walking alongside her. 'It's called a trench coat,' she replied with a roll of her eyes.

Casius looked down and examined the attire he had been given to conceal his wings: a mud-coloured trench coat with a matching fedora, although Erin wasn't entirely sure why she'd lent him the hat. It wasn't as if he actually needed it.

Still, it suited him.

The angel gave an approving nod and jogged along the path in order to keep up with her naturally fast pace. 'So, what kind of task are we embarking on, Mortal?'

Erin cringed at the use of that last word. 'Yeah...can you stop calling me that?' she asked.

'Why?'

'Because it's not something normal people say.'

'Oh...' Casius looked up towards the sky, his brows furrowing. 'What should I address you as, then?'

'Just call me by my name.'

'Which is?'

Erin suddenly realised that she hadn't actually told Casius her name, despite letting him spend the night at the Library of Great Magician. She recalled how Mak had relentlessly lectured her on the wellbeing of others, and how being selfish would make her a villain instead of a hero. ("Oh, you have to take this poor, confused man in! It's your duty! Come on, what would your ancestors think of you if you were to abandon him now?")

But how had something as simple as a formal introduction slipped her mind?

Maybe it's because an angel showed up on my doorstep and barged his way into my home. Maybe it's because he asked me to teach him about our ways – which is a lot easier said than done. Or maybe...