Chapter Nine: An Angel's Revelation

Casius wasn't quite sure how to respond. He was too busy gazing, contemplating, even, on the undisguised look of malice which sat across Erin's face. In his eyes, the expression was unsuited and only served to taint her feminine features.

So, this was what betrayal resulted in.

There was no point in denying it, for this was a Mortal who claimed more sense and intelligence than him.

A lot more.

Casius' features hardened somewhat and he closed his eyes, forcing himself to avert his gaze. He could feel his stomach tightening under the strain of the guilt which surged throughout his entire being, causing both his head and his wings to willingly droop. Back in the Divine Empire, deceit was a crime. A sin punishable by exile.

But it was different here. Mortals resorted to deceit as though it was nothing to be ashamed of.

If only they knew... he thought.

'Come on!' Erin demanded. Her animosity showed no signs of diminishing anytime soon. 'Tell me the truth! Or are you thinking up more lies?'

Casius shook his head. 'No.'

'Then what is it? Why aren't you answering me?' She waved with the key. 'This...it belongs to your world. To the Divine Empire.'

He nodded. 'Yes.'

Erin paused, but only for a moment. Casius noted how her face mellowed slightly, although her eyes continued to blaze under the anger's influence. 'So, why are you here?' she asked, at last.

'I-'

'You're not here to learn about us, are you?'

'No...'

'Then what reason do you have for coming here?' She held up the key up so he could see it for himself: the pain and anguish he alone had caused. 'What reason do you have for lying to me?'

Inside, he was hurting. Casius' gaze wandered over to the window whilst he considered his options. Should he tell her the truth? What would she think of him if she knew the real reason behind his arrival? Shame consumed him from within, but he knew, deep down, that he had no choice.

She deserved to know the truth.

And that was what she was going to get.

The truth.

* * *

The Gathering Chamber was a single room dedicated to the Ten Province: a group of brave knights who had been personally elected by the Champion to fill the ten seats housed within the Chamber itself.

But today the seats were not filled by knights. Instead, the seats were occupied by an angel, a magus, a knight, and the Champion himself. Erin and Elric sat at one end of the Chamber, with Casius situated at the other. A long stretch of polished wood stood between them, though it did nothing to ease the situation at hand.

'So, Casius...' Elric spoke the name with a sense of question, as if he wasn't sure whether or not it truly belonged to the man he was addressing. 'Do you plan on answering the following questions with honesty and nothing but, regardless of how you may personally feel?'

Erin listened in as his voice echoed across the table and throughout the Chamber, reaching the ears of Casius and Darrius, who stood guard on the other side. She stared at the angel, who sat with his head bowed, his wings lousily drooping behind him.